Migrate VM from Core to Scale

rmont

Dabbler
I am runnig a Truenas Core server with 2 Ubuntu server VMs and I would like to migrate to SCALE

What is the correct way of moving the VMs from Core (bhyve) to Scale KVM?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Do you have a second "test" system running SCALE? If not, its better to wait for the migration tools.

rmont

Dabbler
Unfortunately I don't. I could build a VM on another system and do some HD swapping, but it's not ideal.

When are migration tools going to be released?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd expect June~ Closer to BETA timeframe. We may release sooner, but they still are undergoing some internal testing and validation first, since it is a complex operation :)

SirNomad49

Cadet
Hello,
I thought I would follow up on this.

Are there already migration tools available?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello,
I thought I would follow up on this.

Are there already migration tools available?
Right now the focus is on getting SCALE to RELEASE quality.... manual migrations are possible, but we don't yet want to encourage mass sidegrades. THe quality of CORE is still significantly higher than SCALE. So, tools are still not available.

SirNomad49

Cadet
Right now the focus is on getting SCALE to RELEASE quality.... manual migrations are possible, but we don't yet want to encourage mass sidegrades. THe quality of CORE is still significantly higher than SCALE. So, tools are still not available.
Allright, then I will play the waiting game, and wait for scale to release.

Thank you for the update :)

SirNomad49

Cadet
I ended up backing up the CORE VMs using Clonezilla, recreating the VMs in SCALE and restoring the Clonezilla images. Seems to have worked fine.

I will try that later on.

Thank you for the info :)

MasterTNAS

Cadet
I ended up backing up the CORE VMs using Clonezilla, recreating the VMs in SCALE and restoring the Clonezilla images. Seems to have worked fine.
Could you elaborate on the steps you took or point to a guide you may have followed? Thanks

Morris

Contributor
Could you elaborate on the steps you took or point to a guide you may have followed? Thanks
This is a standard way to migrate between hypervisors. Wright down the VM definitions. Create backup or image. Define VM on new hypervisor using the values you recorded. Boot the rescue media from an ISO mounted on the virtual DVD rom drive. Restore, remove virtual media from DVD. Reboot. If windows, deal with activation issues. Other applications may also scream.

You might be able to simply record the VM definition. Create new definition on new hypervisor and boot the existing image. I came here to see if anyone has tried this.

d4nn3h

Cadet
Exactly as Morris said.

I mounted the CloneZilla ISO on the VM, booted to the ISO then created an image of the VM disk to a temporary SMB folder that I had created on my desktop PC. Did the same and restored the image when I created a new VM in scale.

Spud

Contributor
Just out of interest are the migration tools available yet? And if not can we get another update as to how their coming along?

rmont

Dabbler
With the current installer VMs are migrated to Scale with no issues.
The only configuration you need to do manually is the set-up of a bridge network adapter to allow the VM to communicate with the host system. You'll find documentation on how to do this in the forums. For me it's not been straightforward, but I managed to do it successfully at the end.