Virtualizing Proxmox in Truenas Scale

tazomatalax

Cadet
Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any issues with running proxmox as a VM in truenas scale?
I have a Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ with 64 GB RAM and 2 Xeon processors
I am running Proxmox on an old HP SSF with a 6th gen core i5 with an Ubuntu server mainly for plex and HW transcoding but also quite a few docker containers. I dont want to move it to new server as I dont have a GPU to put in to passthrough. I like the backup and migration of VMs in proxmox, but i want to use this new server mainly as a NAS, with the ability to move VMs from the existing proxmox install into the new one if required.

Because the intended purpose of the supermicro is as a NAS i want to have it as best a NAS as possible. I dont have a HBA card to passthrough from proxmox so was going to just passrthrough disks connected to the 6 sata ports by UUID and the use the SAS ports controlled by C606 to connect 8 more drives, to a truenas scale VM, but i have read that that is less than ideal for ZFS and doesnt allow SMART stats etc.

Insted i thought it might be better to just run Scale on the bare metal and have a proxmox VM for further linux (and possibly windows?) VMs to use the backup and snapshot, and just work in a more familar space with great tutorials and support etc.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, is there a way to migrate a VM from proxmox to Truenas Scale?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
We don't test or recommend nested virtualization.... one hypervisor working on top of another hypervisor. It might work, but it may cause headaches..

You'll get better VM performance if you move the VMs from Proxmox to SCALE.

You can review documentation and forums to see if there are any needed Proxmox features that SCALE does not already support. Which specific backup and migration capabilities do you need.... TrueNAS has snapshots and replication tools.

sammael

Explorer
For what it's worth I used a setup that ran the other way for 4 years without an issue (Truenas Core (and later Scale) in Proxmox with 2x passthru lsi hba's and 16 drives), but the passthru hba is a must, I tried passing thru mobo ports and long story short it was no bueno.

Earlier this year I got a nuc, migrated the Proxmox there and migrated Truenas to baremetal and there is zero difference in performance between baremetal and vm Truenas in my use scenario.

But I wouldn't recommend using Truenas as a main hypervisor for nested virtualization.