Migration Proxmox + ZFS to TrueNAS SCALE

rcd

Cadet
I run a Proxmox server with a ZFS Raid-Z data array. I'd like to move to TrueNAS SCALE as soon as it becomes stable enough - maybe late BETA or RC stage.

1) At that time, will it be possible simply to boot and install TrueNAS SCALE on the server and import the existing Raid-Z data array without data loss?

2) Will existing KVM virtual machines be importable, i.e. through standard snapshots (vzdump) ?

3) In the meantime I'd like to familiarize me with some of the functions and interface, and install TrueNAS SCALE in a Proxmox LXC CT (container). I know I can run it in a KVM VM, but using a LXC container allows me to bind-mount datasets from the hypervisor to the container, which is more efficient than having to go through another network layer like SMB or NFS. In order to do that I'd need a TrueNAS SCALE LXC template though - anyone know if that exist?

ornias

Wizard
1)
Import the data: yes
Use the old jail and VM data: No or at least not completely

2)
Not via standard tools afaik, but you should be able to magic the images into a new VM within a day or two.

3)
Not supported and quite ill adviced. SCALE is build on a specific kernel including very specific kernel packages/modifications.
You WILL, at the very least, break a lot and it won't work as expected. worst case you loose data.

rcd

Cadet
I'm not sure what you mean by "magic the images"? Literally meaning something like imagemagick or "hack in some way" ?

Constructive suggestions very welcome. Surely I'm not the only person coming from Proxmox.

alveolina

Dabbler
Well acutally I now have the same problem. I thought I would be able to magically use the Proxmox VMs in Trunas Scale ... I would have lost all my work is this is not possible :-(

sretalla