How to Migrate Proxmox VMs to TrueNAS Scale

Borja

Contributor
Is there an easy way to migrate Proxmox VMs to TrueNAS Scale so there are both KVM and ZFS? I dont know if config files and everything is different.

In case there is no easy way, what tool would you use to create a complete image of the system and restore it to TrueNAS?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I dont know if config files and everything is different
They are the "same", but also completely different...

The config for each machine in Proxmox is stored in the filesystem and is editable (with changes maintained permanently).

On SCALE, the config is kept in the TrueNAS config DB and is created on the fly as you start the VM. You can edit it once it exists, but after reboot or after all VMs are stopped, the file is cleaned up (including your changed) and will be re.created from the TrueNAS config DB (without your changes) the next time.

Because SCALE uses ZVOLs, if you're using raw filws in Proxmox, you'll need to run the converter and dd the result into a zvol.

Depending on how much customization you have done on your config files, you may want to remain on Proxmox until a later version of SCALE opens up more settings customization.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Proxmox VMs to TrueNAS Scale so there are both KVM and ZFS?
This seems an odd request to me, as it's entirely possible to do KVM and ZFS on Proxmox. What do you see SCALE doing for you that Proxmox doesn't already do?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What do you see SCALE doing for you that Proxmox doesn't already do?
My immediate guess would be Containers/kubernetes (and hence Apps) on the host (rather than via VM or LXC)

danb35

Hall of Famer
That's kind of a confusing answer--LXC are containers, they run on the Proxmox host, and there are quite a lot of templates available for containers to do lots of different things. If it's a matter of wanting the TrueNAS (or TrueCharts) apps available, I guess that makes sense--you're trading one flavor of container templates for a different one, but stuff you want is available on one but not the other, sure. But that doesn't have anything to do with anything being "both KVM and ZFS," which was what OP mentioned.

otpi

Contributor
I can add that running proxmox inside scale is possible. The primary function of my hardware is NAS. But I also had another PC running proxmox for testing stuff. Then the temporary testing stuff solution became semi permanent, and I suddenly had other uses for that hardware. I installed proxmox as a VM, creating a cluster then live migrated the VMs just to avoid the hassle of converting VMs. Another "temporary" solution... until further notice. Which is now expanded to more nodes in a cluster using the proxmox VM as a third node.

sretalla