Migrating Plex from Core to Scale

jameselmer

Dabbler
Hi everyone,
So I currently am running a plex server on TrueNAS Core and want to migrate over to Scale to take advantage of Nvidia GPU encoding. I also have a few people that I share my media files with. So what would you say is the best way (If there is one) to migrate from core to scale whilst still being able to keep my plex server metadata and have people still access the server once to migration is complete?

I understand that scale is an app rather than a jail-based system. I am just wondering if there is a way to transfer the current data over to the new one whilst of course being able to keep all of my files etc.

Any help is appreciated :)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Sure. The way I did it was to keep all my data on the pool (of course) and then migrated my plex configuration settings over.

I moved the "Library/Application Support" directory structure over from the old iocage directories, to a new dataset by hand, "/mnt/tank/apps/plex/config/Library/Application Support"

Then in the Plex App, it was easy to setup a host volume for the new config location.

1679931414263.png

jameselmer

Dabbler
Sure. The way I did it was to keep all my data on the pool (of course) and then migrated my plex configuration settings over.

I moved the "Library/Application Support" directory structure over from the old iocage directories, to a new dataset by hand, "/mnt/tank/apps/plex/config/Library/Application Support"

Then in the Plex App, it was easy to setup a host volume for the new config location.

View attachment 65166
Thanks! Could you perhaps talk a little more about migrating your config files over and the steps to that? I've not really done that before

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Sure, most of it is detailed here:

jameselmer

Dabbler
Sure, most of it is detailed here:

Thanks for that. I'm just currently trying to figure out how to move the config files/make a backup etc. How did you do that?

jameselmer

Dabbler

View attachment 65166
I'm Currently trying to find where my Config files are.

I don't have ${JAIL_ROOT}/Plex Media Server/ as a directory and there is nothing in ${JAIL_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/. I dont have a Plexdata folder in there.

Any ideas?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
You will have to go find the location, but it should look something like this:

/mnt/<poolnamehere>/iocage/jails/