Trying to upgrade from USB Core: Can I now import core config to scale?

ideal2545

Dabbler
Hi All,

I was curious if I am able to import core config to scale now that we are on RC2? I am still running core via USB and I picked up two ssd'd for Scale. The issue I have is the best/easiest way to migrate over. I was curious if importing of core config is now supported? Otherwise I think I would need to mirror CORE, then upgrade in place?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, you can boot the SCALE installer, and at installation time, tell it to import your configuration file from the CORE installation.

hiro5id

Dabbler
I had the same question. Came across this answer and tried this. But at install time it didn't ask me to import configuration from CORE.

Here is what I did.
- Booted with the SCALE install USB.
- Installed SCALE onto my new drives, but at no point it gave me any options to import config from old USB containing CORE install.
- Install finished and asked me to reboot.

It just booted into a clean new SCALE environment.

Then i tried to load the config backup I had from CORE before installing SCALE.
And when I do that, I get this message:

"Error: [EFAULT] Failed to upload config, version newer than the current installed."

Last edited:

hiro5id

Dabbler
I had the same question. Came across this answer and tried this. But at install time it didn't ask me to import configuration from CORE.

Here is what I did.
- Booted with the SCALE install USB.
- Installed SCALE onto my new drives, but at no point it gave me any options to import config from old USB containing CORE install.
- Install finished and asked me to reboot.

It just booted into a clean new SCALE environment.

Then i tried to load the config backup I had from CORE before installing SCALE.
And when I do that, I get this message:

"Error: [EFAULT] Failed to upload config, version newer than the current installed."

I have resolved this by loading an older backup config lying around. It's a good thing that I keep several versions of backups.

Spud

Contributor
I have resolved this by loading an older backup config lying around. It's a good thing that I keep several versions of backups.
That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Darren David

Explorer
I'm about to head down this same path. Does anyone happen to know if the issues with importing TrueNAS Core backups into TrueNAS Scale have been resolved?

das1996

Dabbler
Yes, you can boot the SCALE installer, and at installation time, tell it to import your configuration file from the CORE installation.
Kris, is this still the case with current (23.xxx) releases?

When I did an install recently there was no option to import any kind of config file from core or scale. Install had to be performed and booted with default values. Once at the gui, I could THEN upload the previous core config file.