Moving Plex from Core to Scale

mabearce1

Dabbler
So, I have a question here about this.

I just installed SCALE and got Plex installed. my Plex meta data is in a different location! its under /mnt/NAS/Media/Library/Application Supports. I have copied over my metadata from my last one and looks like MOST of it xfered over..its still loading.
However, I have a question about the volumes when configuring. So I have a 256GB SSD for containers and my Plex metaData and my actual media is on spinning disks- I would like to move all my Plex data onto the ssd---how to do this?
So the Host path for transcoding volumes, I set that to my SSD, it added a folder on there? /mnt/Containers/Transcode
I have my Path for Plex Data the same...so /mnt/Containers/ix-Applications
Config volume - I tried to point to my SSD, however, I was not able to locate my media, so I had to point that to my spinning drives where my media is located---so /mnt/NAS/Media

Is this possible?

simplyseth

Cadet
No worries! Yes, in my case I made a dataset like this:

/mnt/tank/plex-config

I then "Enable Host Path for Plex Config Volume" and point it at that dataset.

Inside that dataset I made sure my "Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" directory exists and is populated with the contents from my previous BSD installation.

I have them set to UID/GID 1000:1000 on the host, which is what the Plex container expects:

# chown -R 1000:1000 /mnt/tank/plex-config/Library
This was the magic sauce that got me over the hump. I'm using hostpaths.

No worries! Yes, in my case I made a dataset like this:

/mnt/tank/plex-config

I then "Enable Host Path for Plex Config Volume" and point it at that dataset.

Inside that dataset I made sure my "Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" directory exists and is populated with the contents from my previous BSD installation.

I have them set to UID/GID 1000:1000 on the host, which is what the Plex container expects:

# chown -R 1000:1000 /mnt/tank/plex-config/Library

Late to the party... but my Plex jail has no Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" directory. Only Plex Media Server which I copied to a custom config folder, chown'd it 1000:1000 and set the Plex Scale app config path to this new folder. Yet when I start up plex on scale, it still acts like a fresh installation rather than finding my Truenas Core Plex jail setup.

Any suggestions or advice? To the best of my knowledge I have not deleted or touched anything from my original Plex jail. Aware that this thread is over two years old, could a newer version of Plex be to blame? Have folders changed around? I searched, but could not find anything.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
There are other threads on this, but you have to locate that support directory on your jails and move it over. Otherwise it Plex will start fresh since you didn't migrate over its config / database. Usually those live under /mnt/<pool>/iocage/jails/<jailname>/root or similar, IIRC.