Need Plex advice for scale. Moving data from QNAP

mattyv316

Dabbler
I have been searching and reading for a while, and want to see opinions on best way to approach moving my Plex data to Scale (between official app, TrueCharts, or straight Docker image).
My original Plex install is on a QNAP NAS that has seen better days. I pulled the "Plex Media Server" directory with all the data off. I am trying to decide the best way to set Plex up on Scale with my Plex data in its own dataset. I see some instructions that show the Plex data under the ix-applications dataset, and some instructions show mounting folders inside the container, and the official app has specific settings on where to set the config, data, and transcode directories.
If anyone has opinions on which Plex option would be best for this setup, I would appreciate the feedback.
I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2

truecharts

Guru
One by one:
- Straight docker image: Unless you want the hacky way of disabling Apps completely, there is no such thing as "straight docker image", even the docker button is "just another App in the background, so in that case you can "just as well" use one of the available Apps.
- Official App: Uses the official Plex images, generally stable, limited featureset/options
- TrueCharts App: uses k8s-at-home images (more recent drivers, native-k8s security etc), has A LOT more options, has more guides available, also generally stable.

mattyv316

Dabbler
Thank you for the reply. By straight Docker image, I meant the pms docker from plexinc. Sorry, should have named it better.
I was leaning toward the TrueCharts Plex app, and actually had it installed, but could not find where to re-direct the Plex data/config. I see in the setup where you can mount host data, which I did for media, but couldn't find the settings to re-direct the Plex data I pulled from my QNAP. I assume it is there somewhere as you mention the TruCharts app has "A LOT" more options than the official Plex app and I can see where that is configured in that setup,
Is there a guide that contains this info? I see the guides on truecharts.org , but the video that shows a plex install was just a vanilla install.

truecharts

Guru
Thank you for the reply. By straight Docker image, I meant the pms docker from plexinc. Sorry, should have named it better. I was leaning toward the TrueCharts Plex app, and actually had it installed, but could not find where to re-direct the Plex data/config. I see in the setup where you can mount host data, which I did for media, but couldn't find the settings to re-direct the Plex data I pulled from my QNAP. I assume it is there somewhere as you mention the TruCharts app has "A LOT" more options than the official Plex app and I can see where that is configured in that setup, Is there a guide that contains this info? I see the guides on truecharts.org , but the video that shows a plex install was just a vanilla install.

We generally don't offer support on this forum, feel free to file a support ticket on our support discord if you need help with that :)
(as it has already been explained a few times over there)