Truenas Scale - Plex Pass Guide - Container Install & Configuration

Cowagz

Cadet
Hi all.

As per the title, i am chasing a Guide for the installation and configure of Plex Pass on Truenas Scale; (preferably video - using GUI)

Q1. Historically on Truenas Core; there were two versions of the app available to be installed as jails. (Plex, and Plex Pass) - is this the same case for Scale, as i can only see one option to install under the container page. (1.25.2.5319_1.6.15)
Q2. On TN Core, the jail was given permissions to access data - external from the jail, (in my case i set it as read only). How does it work in scale with docker? does the data need to be in the same container?
Q3. If so, or if not, I'm unsure of how to assign the library locations (films and Tv shows folder) within the Plex container setup. Can somebody please clarify how to assign read only parameters for the aforementioned files to the container so i can load the files into the library.

Thanks in advance.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
1: Right now on SCALE we only have the one container, but the PlexPass version can be installed as a manual docker image if you use the correct docker tag (https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#tags) - If there is enough interest, we can add it to the official catalog as well.

2. Data normally is mapped in via a host-volume, so if you have a media directory, you can map it through the UI.

3. Library locations are set on mapped data. So if you mapped something into the container as /media, you'd add your library locations as /media/video or whatever. For permissions, you can a tinker with chmod or related, depending on how far you want to go to restrict access.

sstruke

Dabbler
1: Right now on SCALE we only have the one container, but the PlexPass version can be installed as a manual docker image if you use the correct docker tag (https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#tags) - If there is enough interest, we can add it to the official catalog as well.

2. Data normally is mapped in via a host-volume, so if you have a media directory, you can map it through the UI.

3. Library locations are set on mapped data. So if you mapped something into the container as /media, you'd add your library locations as /media/video or whatever. For permissions, you can a tinker with chmod or related, depending on how far you want to go to restrict access.
i would also like to have a official catalog Plexpass

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
FYI, we just merged the changes so that PlexPass is now a checkbox option when you deploy plex.

truecharts

Guru
To be 100% clear:
"Plex Pass" does not exist for a while now, it's now just a beta channel.

Daveo

Cadet
I've been testing Scale with Plex a bit and can't seem to get the mount points to work from the plex side. When I login to the plex shell I can see the mounts no problem. The permissions look fine, but they don't show in plex at all - not even ghosted out.

sstruke

Dabbler
I've been testing Scale with Plex a bit and can't seem to get the mount points to work from the plex side. When I login to the plex shell I can see the mounts no problem. The permissions look fine, but they don't show in plex at all - not even ghosted out.
See if your settings are similar to mine. Data folder names can, of course, be different.

Attachments

• Plex.jpg
    Plex.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4,256
  • Plex1.jpg
    Plex1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4,399

Saberwolf

Explorer
from my experience it is a permission issue as you see the ACL you have passed on directory you must all so pass an PUID AND A GUID in extra parameters do this first before you go hunting down any ACL issue create a new Data set at the root of the pool with no acls dont create any shares to that folder add that new folder to the server and try again you will manually have to add a few videos if the show up you know you have an ACL issue and you just need for correct the permissions you have associated with that folder.

I have been testing the plex app sense pre-alpha I was Critical contributor to the to the code that allowed GPU Transcoding to work in the docker/K3S there were some undocumented MOD probe commands that need to be passed to allow Docker and the K3s apps to pass through GPU resources

Let me get back to topic at hand if you set up GUID AND PUID you can assign your ACLS to those ID's otherwise it would not work all you need for access is Read options you will need excuite for transcoding and Write permission all this can be done easily.

Saberwolf

Explorer
as to the original topic of the post

How to install Plex app I can help click install

1651682511173.png

Name your app all lower case and number no spaces
1651682609660.png

select if you want PlexPass enabled it does not really matter
enter Claim token from the fallowing website www.plex.tv/claim
add Environment variables for plex Ex. PUID GUID you can find the full list of Parameters from here https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/
dont forget the most important one if you are Trying to claim an account witch is ALLOWED_NETWORKS other wise you will get unauthorized access to your server
1651682875435.png

ensure you have Configure host network checked

1651682997198.png

set your data volume (NOTE: you will find your share under /data of server when you are trying to add movies to your library)
Set your Upgrade Policy

1651683214012.png

if you intend on passing a GPU through (NOTE: IF YOU DONT HAVE A VISABLE GPU ON A FRESS INSTALL JUST CONTINUE ON and EDIT Config of app after the first deployment)

1651683279264.png

Confirm your options and save
1651683326412.png

go back to installed applications At this point you will need to check config for GPU passthrough and set it to 1 instead of 0 Click three DOTS and select EDIT scroll to the bottom and look for GPU resource

1651683542162.png

some things to you might notice will be where it says Nvidia.com/gpu might say intel.com/gpu and amd.com/gpu just ensure that the drop down button says Allocate 1 this will enable gpu support you must click save if you click out side of window where you see applications settings will not have saved if every thing was done wright and you click web portal you will be at the initial setup page for plex. the rest is self explainator oh dont for get to sing into your account and go to settings select transcoder and enable USE HARDWARE ACCELERATION WHEN AVAILBE and click save. this setting is for PLEXPASS USERS ONLY
1651683883662.png

after all that add your library of movies/tv shows/live tv tuners and your off to the market.