UrBackup on Scale - Custom settings install

ncicek

Cadet
@jct, how exactly do you this step?
Using the big blue button you should be able to mimic the same effect by mapping /dev/zfs as-is from host to container and enabling privileged mode.
I tried to do a "Host Path Volume" mount for /dev/zfs and it failed.
Urbackup is not enabling ZFS same as @tiswi:
2022-12-25 04:10:41.735733+00:00Testing for zfs...
2022-12-25 04:10:41.735771+00:00TEST FAILED: Dataset is not set via /etc/urbackup/dataset
2022-12-25 04:10:41.736088+00:002022-12-25 04:10:41: Backup destination cannot handle subvolumes and snapshots. Snapshots disabled.

stickmanbrad

Cadet
Hey! There we go, as of an hour ago. Better late than never: official builds with ZFS support in the container.

So nevermind building your own. Just use the uroni/urbackup-server:latest-zfs public Docker container.

@truecharts: might you take this from here, or will you need me to meet you on Discord with a bunch of annoying questions? :wink:

Hey,

Just wondered if there had been any more progress on this. Really would like to move over to TrueNas Scale. Tried a test system and attempted to setup UrBackup, but also getting similar error to previous post. Trying to Create the docker instance through the GUI. I don’t think it likes any of the tags like the ZFS=1 etc.. would be really grateful if you could provide a little explanation as to how to get up and running (even if it requires a manual creation through CLI or shell).

I manage to get urbackup up and running but backups fail, and I get an error indicating zfs isn’t loading or working in the logs.

Kind regards in advanced

gt2416

Patron
@jct, how exactly do you this step?

I tried to do a "Host Path Volume" mount for /dev/zfs and it failed.
Urbackup is not enabling ZFS same as @tiswi:

If you mount an empty dataset (anything) at /etc/urbackup/dataset that error goes away.
But then there are more errors which unfortunately I don't know how to resolve.
If you check Privileged Mode I think passing /dev/zfs is not needed as it exists in the container in Privileged mode. Still can't get this to work though.

shaunmccloud

Cadet
I am working on getting this to work in a lab setup as we will be replacing a Synology NAS with a Mini-R soon. I can see everything for ZFS in the container, but when I run urbackup_snapshot_helper test I get "Backupfolder not set"

klosz007

Cadet
Just curious if you were able to set it up ?

I'm new to UrBackup and recently installed UrBackup as container on Linux (Ubuntu) VM which gets backup storage via NFS from TrueNAS (another VM on the same ESX host).
I'm thinking about benefits of having UrBackup installed as container but directly on TN VM (hence on ZFS storage, not ZFS via NFS).

You have mentioned issues related to /etc/urbackup/dataset - as per UrBackup documentation, this is a file which should contain ZFS dataset's name on which image backup destination resides.
Similarly /etc/urbackup/dataset_file should contain ZFS dataset name where file backup destination resides) - see chapter 11.7.1 of UrBackup 2.5.x PDF admin guide.
It should be entered there manually from within container (so docker exec -it bash), there's no UrBackup GUI setting for this.
Also, since /etc/urbackup is not host-maapped docker volume, changes to it will not be persistent, i.e. deletion or upgrade of the UrBackup container will require re-editing these files again. But that should not be a big issue.