Can't understand docker settings in SCALE

emsicz

Explorer
When setting up docker image through "Launch Docker Image" button, here is some things I can't understand:
  • Provide access to node network namespace for the workload
    • No tooltip explaining what this does.
    • No explanation in documentation.
  • Configure Container CMD
    • Documentation says: Click Add for Container CMD to add a command, which, again, is same as no documentation at all.
  • Configure Container Args
    • Documentation says: Container Arg to add a container argument, which, again, is same as no documentation at all.
      • This terribleness is amplified by some random anon explaining here that it's actually not a container argument, but Kubernetes argument. How do I set arguments for containers? Nobody knows. How is argument different from flag? Nobody knows.
I'm trying to run official MariaDB container which has data directory mounted to specific dataset under it's own permissions. I'm 4 hours in, I can't set this up in TrueNAS SCALE UI. I'm clearly not alone in this.

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
When setting up docker image through "Launch Docker Image" button, here is some things I can't understand:
  • Provide access to node network namespace for the workload
    • No explanation in documentation.
  • Configure Container CMD
    • Documentation says: Click Add for Container CMD to add a command, which, again, is same as no documentation at all.
  • Configure Container Args
    • Documentation says: Container Arg to add a container argument, which, again, is same as no documentation at all.
      • This terribleness is amplified by some random anon explaining here that it's actually not a container argument, but Kubernetes argument. How do I set arguments for containers? Nobody knows. How is argument different from flag? Nobody knows.
I'm trying to run official MariaDB container which has data directory mounted to specific dataset under it's own permissions. I'm 4 hours in, I can't set this up in TrueNAS SCALE UI. I'm clearly not alone in this.

Which version of SCALE are you running?
Hope you left comments in the docs pages... this is the first step to getting better documentation.

Node network namespace is sort of described here: https://matthewpalmer.net/kubernete...es/kubernetes-networking-guide-beginners.html
Do you want this container to share a name pace with other containers on the node.. its sounds like the answer in "no".
I'm not sure which screen this is on... docs may have a miss here.

Container Command and Arguments are described here: https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/inject-data-application/define-command-argument-container/
In a vanilla deployment, these may not be needed. This page was listed in the docs.

Kaplah

Cadet
While I love the stability of Truenas this has driven me mad.
  • Question marks exist to explain features, but the popups explain nothing
  • Documentation is almost worthless on the apps feature
  • You're relying on google to find answers
Please take some common examples from docker and show how they translate. You'd eliminate a lot of the stress for me personally and I suspect other users as well.

For instance:

How do I implement this:

docker run -d \
-p "8080:8080" \
--device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0 \
--device=/dev/sr1:/dev/sr1 \

in terms of:
1699462910132.png

emsicz

Explorer
While I love the stability of Truenas this has driven me mad.
  • Question marks exist to explain features, but the popups explain nothing
  • Documentation is almost worthless on the apps feature
  • You're relying on google to find answers
Please take some common examples from docker and show how they translate. You'd eliminate a lot of the stress for me personally and I suspect other users as well.

For instance:

How do I implement this:

docker run -d \
-p "8080:8080" \
--device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0 \
--device=/dev/sr1:/dev/sr1 \

in terms of:
View attachment 72206
I’m pretty sure you can’t. The tooltip you’re missing would say: “docker features are not supported by the GUI in 1:1 manner, only limited scope of docker features can be used by the GUI - if you find this insufficient, we suggest spinning up a VM with docker in it”

12f23eddde

Cadet
Guess these are pretty intuitive to a docker cli /docker-compose user:
- Provide access to node network namespace for the workload
basically --network=host, the container gonna use the host network (accessible to other things running on bare metal truenas scale)
- Configure Container CMD / ARG
feels the same as command / args in docker-compose: https://docs.docker.com/compose/compose-file/compose-file-v3/