Locast2plex in scale docker container

oumpa31

Patron
Morning guys I just finished throwing together an old machine to start testing TrueNAS Scale to get ready for the switchover. The main thing I run is PLEX but with an addon of Locast2plex. That way I can get my local channels when my antenna is being funky. They have done a lot of work creating a docker container here https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex. I know nothing about getting this even loaded into docker let alone Scale's containers. With some help I was able to get it running in a Jail on my current TrueNAS Core box but I want to go to Scale to get the PCIE video card transcoding going.

Could you guys help a newbie out and either point me to a guide on getting Locast2PLEX loaded or a tutorial I could follow.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Never tried Locast2Plex before, but since it appears it has a Docker image already, you should be able to use the Wizard on SCALE's "Launch Docker Image" button. Be sure to enter the repository "tgorg/locast2plex" and then follow the steps to map in the config.ini file they mention in the readme:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tgorg/locast2plex

oumpa31

Patron
Never tried Locast2Plex before, but since it appears it has a Docker image already, you should be able to use the Wizard on SCALE's "Launch Docker Image" button. Be sure to enter the repository "tgorg/locast2plex" and then follow the steps to map in the config.ini file they mention in the readme:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tgorg/locast2plex

It has worked great for recording tv but transcoding it with a Threadripper 2920X does cause some buffering issues that a GPU should fix. Definitely worth the donation every month. Thanks for the reply I was playing with it as a virtual machine when it was the original 21.02 So that wizard must have been added in the last update. Hoping to start testing this tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It has worked great for recording tv but transcoding it with a Threadripper 2920X does cause some buffering issues that a GPU should fix. Definitely worth the donation every month. Thanks for the reply I was playing with it as a virtual machine when it was the original 21.02 So that wizard must have been added in the last update. Hoping to start testing this tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck! Hopefully the wizard makes this fairly painless for you!

oumpa31

Patron
Well the wizard asks a lot of things that I'm not sure of. So I ended up getting this.
1614050226649.png

Not even sure where I screwed up. Do I have to add a place for it to go or will it be put with the other apps?

shadofall

Contributor
looks likes like something is wrong with your Env Variables and didn't put in the nodeport, with out knowing what you put in for each field not sure where you went wrong.

oumpa31

Patron
Ok. Tonight I will go through each step and write down everything I put in that way we can work through the inputs that are needed. At first I couldn't even get plex to download it said kubernetics wasn't started. once I restarted the machine it worked sorta ok it said it was still deploying it this morning. But had to come to the office this morning so it will have to wait till tonight to play with it more.

oumpa31

Patron
finally have time so here we go
1) Image and Policies
Name - locast2plex
Image Repository - https://hub.docker.com/r/tgorg/locast2plex
Image Tag - latest
Image Pull Policy - Only pull image if not present on host.
Update Strategy - Create new pods and then kill old ones.
2) Container Settings is blank i dont know what to put there
3) Networking
host network- check
rest left blank
4) port forwarding list
container port - 6077
5) host path volumes - blank cause im not sure what to fill in there
6) volumes - left blank

oumpa31

Patron
There we have it, thats not a correct repository :)
try: tgorg/locast2plex

6077 is fine for a container port, however I don't know if you also might need 1900/UDP?
Do you need to connect to it from outside the container-network (from another PC for example)?
Just made those changes and got this
Error: [EINVAL] attributes.portForwardingList: Item#0 is not valid per list types: [EINVAL] portForwarding.nodePort: Not an integer

For initial testing I will be connecting it to my TrueNAS Core Server that is separate machine. Just so i can verify that it is working properly because that has the Plex pass account on it.
I did add the 1900 / UDP

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
Error: [EINVAL] attributes.portForwardingList: Item#0 is not valid per list types: [EINVAL] portForwarding.nodePort: Not an integer
Did you actually read the error? ;-)
It literally says you need to add a nodePort.

oumpa31

Patron
Did you actually read the error? ;-)
It literally says you need to add a nodePort.

I did some reading and sounds like I set the port to container port to 6077 and I can set the node port to 9001 and I just search that port to connect to it. Its loading now so fingers crossed. Now I just have to edit that config.ini file to start my test.

Last edited:

shadofall

Contributor
For the config.ini your need to put it on a data pool somewhere the and then select the path and type config.ini at the end. Since the host path won't let you select a file but seems like it will take it if you type it in, from the quick test I did

Something like /mnt/example/locastconfig/config.ini

and you can set a container port udp to 1900 and give it another node port as well..

Really not sure why the creator of this didn't just do a standard config folder then look for the ini like most apps but hey

oumpa31

Patron
I noticed plex creates a folder inside the "apps" folder under it. I'm guessing i should place it there and also point to that location for the storage of the program. Been crazy busy with work and new baby I'm hoping to be able to try this sometime this week.

shadofall

Contributor
I noticed plex creates a folder inside the "apps" folder under it. I'm guessing i should place it there and also point to that location for the storage of the program. Been crazy busy with work and new baby I'm hoping to be able to try this sometime this week.

might work, what I did in my brief test (since I don't have locast I could not do a full test I just wondered if was possible to map to a file) is I created a dataset called locastconfig on my Apps Disk Pool and put the config.ini there and made sure the dataset/file were owned by the apps account and group

then in the Image Deploy wizard I put in host path /mnt/Apps/locastconfig/config.ini and mapped it to /app/config/config.ini

oumpa31

Patron
This is everything I put in and I still can't connect to it with a different computer for testing.

Attachments

• locast2plex TrueNAS Scale.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 203

shadofall

Contributor
Your second path for the ini should read as /app/config/config.ini. As that's the path inside the docker image

So like this

5) Host Path Volumes

a. Add hostPathVolumes
aa. Host Path: /mnt/test/Oden/locast2plex/config.ini
ab. Mount Path: /app/config/config.ini
b. Read Only: no