Should I switch from Core to Scale?

Grid21

Dabbler
I've been running TrueNAS Core, and saw that TrueNAS Scale, from some videos I saw of it, seemed to have more/better features and more active updates. But is it hard to switch from Core to Scale and can I use my current config including my OpenVPN configuration on Scale as I did on Core? Does Scale also have better flexibility in any way as compared to Core? Thanks in advanced!

LarsR

Guru
Depends on your usecase. If all you do is host a fileserver and run plex and maybe nextcloud then you don't need to migrate. Core is considered more stable then scale. In addition Scale removed the openvpn service in favor of running it inside an app, so if you're using the build in openvpn service on core you have to redo that setup on scale with an app.
If you want better support for newer hardware, faster developement (may also introduce new bugs/breaking changes), a better app system with more (and supported) apps go for scale. Keep in mind that scale currently has the 50% arc limit by default, but iX now considers it save to change it manually to more then 50%.
iX offers a sidegrade from core to scale, which includes configs and vm's. What can't be sidegraded are jails, you'd have to manuallly setup all your jails as apps. If a jail is not available as an, either in the official or truecharts catalogue, you'd have to try to manually create it by using the "custom app" feature.

Grid21

Dabbler
Depends on your usecase. If all you do is host a fileserver and run plex and maybe nextcloud then you don't need to migrate. Core is considered more stable then scale. In addition Scale removed the openvpn service in favor of running it inside an app, so if you're using the build in openvpn service on core you have to redo that setup on scale with an app.
If you want better support for newer hardware, faster developement (may also introduce new bugs/breaking changes), a better app system with more (and supported) apps go for scale. Keep in mind that scale currently has the 50% arc limit by default, but iX now considers it save to change it manually to more then 50%.
iX offers a sidegrade from core to scale, which includes configs and vm's. What can't be sidegraded are jails, you'd have to manuallly setup all your jails as apps. If a jail is not available as an, either in the official or truecharts catalogue, you'd have to try to manually create it by using the "custom app" feature.
Ok, so considering my current workflow, and since I use OpenVPN with my friends for small projects. I guess I'll just stick to Core. The only thing I haven't done is update it because I couldn't tell from other postings if the update was ok and not going to break anything I am doing.