Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience

TrueNAS Core, Scale and future migration-possibility

Kable

Cadet
Joined
Mar 8, 2021
Messages
2
Hello there,

right now i am in the process of building myself a NAS.
For this project i am in the final process of "timbering" everything together and testing out various usecases in TrueNAS Core like setting up the PLEX, how to properly install a raid-Z, making the Server secure, reading docs for a deeper understanding etc..

1 issue i am confronted with is the capability of Core to manage VM´s for testing purposes and different services. Because it is very frustrating i am peeking at scale with great interest. Allthough there are other Options like Unraid who are also capable of running docker and different plugins i am really interested in Scale for future education-purposes (relatively new to the IT-sector and definitely intereseted in the scalabilty of Core).
So actually my question is if there is a way in the future to migrate directly from core to scale or would it be better to directly get Scale up and running.

The next big thing is the actual migration of Pools to scale in case of setting up from the scratch. Right now my 3TB HDD is filled and set up in Core. Is it safe to export the Pool from core and import it to Scale? It is mostly pure Data, no VM´s or Jails (i would set them up from the scratch anyway). Same question for a Raid-Z if i should wait. It is set up but not filled due to my inner fight. I could switch 1 4TB HHD to my main PC, copy everything to it, set up core, copy everything to the 3TB HDD Rebuild and set up a new Raid-Z. But my mentor always says work smart, not hard.

Also can i switch from alpha to beta/stable later safely? I read it isn´t even possible to get from nightly to alpha. As i´ve read because nightly has more features then alpha, but maybe i haven´t understood it the right way.

I would be glad if someone could answer me those questions to help me choose between my different Options to get startet with Scale.

Greeting
Kable
 

maximelu

Dabbler
Joined
Mar 7, 2021
Messages
48
Hi,

The next big thing is the actual migration of Pools to scale in case of setting up from the scratch. Right now my 3TB HDD is filled and set up in Core. Is it safe to export the Pool from core and import it to Scale? It is mostly pure Data, no VM´s or Jails (i would set them up from the scratch anyway). Same question for a Raid-Z if i should wait. It is set up but not filled due to my inner fight. I could switch 1 4TB HHD to my main PC, copy everything to it, set up core, copy everything to the 3TB HDD Rebuild and set up a new Raid-Z. But my mentor always says work smart, not hard.
It's very easy to move the zPool from a TrueNAS version to another. You just have to export the zPool (disconnect) from the GUI and import it to Scale. It's transparent, except for the custom users you have to recreate and reapply.
But, be careful -> OpenZFS version are sometime differents and if you move to a more recent you loose the possibility to rollback.

Also can i switch from alpha to beta/stable later safely? I read it isn´t even possible to get from nightly to alpha. As i´ve read because nightly has more features then alpha, but maybe i haven´t understood it the right way.
Not sure but normally, if you use the "normal" alpha (beta etc.) channel -> the system provide updates. However the risk exists but in my mind it's not important cause if you have a "normal installation" most of the parameters are saved on your zPool.

I reinstall regularly and it only takes 1 or 2 hours.

Eventually, you have the possibility to use TrueNas Scale into a virtual machine to do your tests
 

Kable

Cadet
Joined
Mar 8, 2021
Messages
2
Good morning.

I wasn´t shure about the process due to my lack of experience. Am i assuming it right that both, Core 12-U2.1 and Scale Alpha (Angelfish), are using openZFS 2.0 at the moment?
And do i have to take any precautions by exporting/importing? Is it right that importing a Raid-Z is following the same scheme? Just for the case i have to set Scale up again in case of a failing update-path.
I didn´t expected it to be this easy. :D
But maybe i should just look after an extra-SSD in my crate to make a test with a test-disk.

And to be clear: i have no problems with fiddling around a bit and to be confronted with problems. Just as long as the raw data is safe and i can expect the same standard-security-mechanisms like in core, anything can be rolled back.

Thanks for your fast reply.
I will look into it and will give feedback in case of success
 
Top