CORE to SCALE 21.08-Beta and back question

MyVizDrake

Dabbler
Hi !

Been running FreeNAS / TrueNAS Core for about 5 years ....

If I do the installation / conversion to SCALE from CORE, understanding of course that my jails won't work in SCALE ... once SCALE is installed and assuming I don't do ZFS feature flag upgrades post-install in SCALE, I could switch back to CORE at will?

If yes, would I need to export / import the pool each time?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, that should work, but it has not been tested. Migration from SCALE to CORE is not a priority for BETA.
You should only try if your data is replicated elsewhere. Pool snapshots might also simplify recovery.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's probably worth noting that 21.08 (and maybe previous versions too) has a higher version of Open ZFS, hence also feature flags, so bringing a pool back to CORE is probably a no-go for that reason (unless the pool was created on CORE and you resist the temptation to upgrade the pool on SCALE).

c77dk

Patron
with a recent backup from CORE (and as @sretalla wrote: no new pool / zfs flags) you can rollback by reinstalling CORE and importing backup config, if changing BE doesn't work.

MyVizDrake

Dabbler
I can resist the temptation to update the pool:smile:

I am going to create a CORE VM with a recreated Syncthing and Plex jail with data on it and see what happens when I “Upgrade” to SCALE

Going to take some time to set that up.

I am interested to explore the migration from Plex / Syncthing iocage jails to TrueCharts Apps.

Thanks!