SOLVED Reboot back to Core doesn't work

TimoJ

Dabbler
I upgraded from Core to Scale but now I can't go back to Core. I have made Core active and rebooted but the system always boots back to Scale. Looks like there is some issue with Grub. It shows two errors and after those normal Grub boot screen appears with two lines both for Scale. How do I fix Grub and get back to Core?

grub.png

Scale installation showed this. Has it something to do with this issue?

install.png

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
In general sidegrading from CORE to SCALE is a one-way process. We do not recommend side-grading back immediately. Sometimes it may be possible, but there are things that can be done in SCALE that make it difficult. SCALE has later versions of ZFS and Samba etc.

Where possible build a new system with SCALE. Only sidegrade when you are comfortable with it being your final destination.

TimoJ

Dabbler
In general sidegrading from CORE to SCALE is a one-way process. We do not recommend side-grading back immediately. Sometimes it may be possible, but there are things that can be done in SCALE that make it difficult. SCALE has later versions of ZFS and Samba etc.

Where possible build a new system with SCALE. Only sidegrade when you are comfortable with it being your final destination.
So why does SCALE have boot menu for it showing CORE versions and allowing to select them for reboot? Now it shows "12.0-U6 Reboot" and still the system boots back to SCALE.
And why did Tom in this video say he could easily roll back? Only problem was roll forward, then he had to upgrade again.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Tom Lawrence is a very experienced and knowledgable guy... in the video, you'll see that he does "fresh installs" in several places. Assuming there have no pool feature updates, then you might have to fresh install and re-import the pool back to CORE.

For the rest of the community, I just wanted to warn that the software is not tested for sidegrades and sidebacks in all situations. It's designed to be possible, but not well tested.

sretalla