Grub auto countdown

mndsm

Cadet
OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1

Hi Everyone.

I recently upgraded to 22.02.2.1 and suddenly GRUB no longer "auto countdowns" when booting. The boot environment select menu appears as expected but does not time out and select the first option after a few seconds as expected. When I manually interact with the menu and just hit enter and select the first option, it boots into TrueNAS like normal with no issues. This did not happen on any previous versions of the software for me.

In the past on linux and during my research, I know that GRUB has had issues with this related to recordfail. However, I have troubleshooted this on my device as far as I can on my own without resolving the issues.

I have searched these forums, stack overflow and just the internet in general and tried about a half dozen solutions. None of them have worked so far.

Things I have tried to do...

Reset Grub Environment Block
grub-editenv - list

Create and add new ENV entries and rebuild grub config.
/etc/default/grub.d/10-grubenv.conf

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=$GRUB_TIMEOUT

Rebuild Grub Config
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Any guidance or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mndsm

Cadet
Haha. Okay. Please ignore this thread.
Turns out the issue was that someone spilled something on the keyboard attached to the NAS device which shorted a key. That key triggered the auto-timeout to be disables because it was "pressed"

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Welp, I have to be honest, I can imagine myself wasting days with that one.

Hokitojas

Cadet
I have this exact issue, using the latest Truenas Scale version. However I have no keyboard plugged in, when the NAS is booting.
GRUB version is 2.0.6-3 (dont know if this is relevant).
This is also a fresh baremetal install, as I taught, that maybe the upgrade install from core to scale messed up something.

Hokitojas

Cadet
Installed Truenas Core, all my problems went away. Starts automatically like it should, I have no random pool device errors on startup pool import, that the device was removed and the pool is degraded (zpool status shows no errors because there is no error), and also performance is slightly better. Yeah i miss docker support, wanted to thinker with that, but my NAS is mainly a file storage and for that reason, Core is more then enugh. I hope Scale gets more ironed out in the future, but as of now, it's just not for me.

Hokitojas

Cadet
Why not install a Linux VM for your Docker needs?
Thank you, that's an excellent idea! Didn't really tried running VM under Core, but will check the documentation on it later this week. It shouldn't be much more difficult then virtualbox or vmware.

Fizzle

Cadet
I had the exact same issue! I tried everything you did, even tried just defaulting to boot to the first option in grub without a second thought. None of it worked.

I'd given up, resigned to having to plug in a keyboard to bypass grub everytime I wanted to boot up my server. But luckily I build keyboards so I have... way too many. Just lying around. Like 9 keyboards. Anyway, I plugged one of the first boards I got into the server and put it way up on top of my rack, out of sight out of mind until I need it right? But oddly enough... the problem never happened again.

Turns out for some reason having a keyboard plugged allowed grub to start the timeout?! Now I can power cycle to my hearts content without needing to get up and walk into another room to hit an arrow key. Now I do see that youve since switched to TrueNAS Core, but for anyone else having a similar issue in the future, maybe this can be a solution for them?