Fails to boot - Can't import boot-pool

brando56894

Wizard
Added it to the ticket already, I had actually completely forgotten that I had started this thread and had no idea it was still active up until a few days ago haha

oumpa31

Patron
I have a LSI 9201-16e that i am getting no connection for this is what i have tried i am testing on TrueNAS-SCALE-21.04-MASTER-20210402-015242

lspci -k|grep mpt3sas gives mme this
truenas# lspci -k|grep mpt3sas
Kernel modules: mpt3sas
Kernel driver in use: mpt3sas
Kernel modules: mpt3sas
lspci gives me a ton of stuff but these are the only sas cards neither are mine.
09:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] (rev 02)
42:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] (rev 02)
So I SSH'ed into the box and added this
add rootdelay=10 to the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg and regenerate grub (via the update-grub command)
Nothing happened so I restarted the server and that disappeared.
I then added
add ZFS_INITRD_POST_MODPROBE_SLEEP='10' or ZFS_AUTOIMPORT_TIMEOUT='10' to /etc/default/zfs and then regenerate the initrd with update-initrd -k all -u
tried both and when i run the update i get this
truenas# update-initrd -k all -u
zsh: command not found: update-initrd
still no changes after reboot

brymck

Cadet
Had the same issue booting an r720 with HBA in IT mode. Installed in UEFI. Reconfigured to boot via BIOS, reinstalled booting USB via BIOS, finishing up install now, seems to have worked ok. Any imminent danger of obsolescence using BIOS over UEFI?

brando56894

Wizard
Interesting find, you should be fine using bios instead of uefi. I may give that a try since SCALE has reached beta and I may be able to use it for daily personal use now.

dasaint

Cadet
Have an ASROCK (https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=D1541D4U-2T8R#Specifications) that does only UEFI and had the same issues with the boot volume it would just sit and hang with the cannot import boot-pool (using single SATADOM ) with the Beta.

when i hit enter gave me initramfs then dont know where to go from there....

when i had my sas3 external enclosure setup i couldnt see the error b/c of the inits done on it would just hang but when i disconnected it this is what i saw then found this issue in the fourms...

Storage Controller for SATA is 9172 Marvell - not sure if the others above have a similar combo.

UPDATE: tried the same SATADOM in another machine X9SRI-3F (no Format no changes) booted fine no issues no ask for the above so it seems like its Driver/UEFI related of some sort...

Another thing i should mention boot drive is using the native SATA Ports all be it they are the Marvell 9172 so these should load up with kernel assuming there is a driver, im not booting off the SAS3008 controller at all so i dont think the earlier fixes mean much to this issue. and i tested on an intel controller on the other board and it seemed fine.

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_174441800.jpg
    PXL_20210722_174441800.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 276
  • PXL_20210722_175030131.jpg
    PXL_20210722_175030131.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

brando56894

Wizard
Guys...the time has finally come....this bug has been fixed! I downloaded the 8/20 nightly and it booted up perfectly.

MikeLowry

Dabbler
Hi All,

I installed the new 16GB internal eUSB DOM on a QNAP System and installed the latest ISO- TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2. All installed good with the config restore showing the Datasets. The same hardware worked fine when I the boot media was an external USB.

The only issue now is the system boots too fast and cannot import boot-pool

I tried the solution here but the update-grub does not save the truenas.cfg on reboot.
update-initrd is also not found when I try that option.

Anyone experience this with the latest RC? Is there a solution?

Cheers
M

xxsskxx

Dabbler
I also have this issue on my Scale install on a QNAP 470 Pro, sometimes it boots OK, other times it does not, i will attempt to manually import the boot pool and report back. I was using RC.2, upgraded last night to the RELEASE version of 22.02 which then resulted in it not booting.

edit, booted all OK when i delayed the boot manually, and rebooted fine when adding the 10 second root delay to truenas conf

Last edited:

qwec01

Cadet
I also have this issue on my Scale install on a QNAP 470 Pro, sometimes it boots OK, other times it does not, i will attempt to manually import the boot pool and report back. I was using RC.2, upgraded last night to the RELEASE version of 22.02 which then resulted in it not booting.

edit, booted all OK when i delayed the boot manually, and rebooted fine when adding the 10 second root delay to truenas conf
Hi xxsskxx,
I want to know how you delayed the boot manually, did you add rootdelay=10 to truenas.cfg? I added it too, but after reboot, it disappeared, and fails to boot, I have to manully import boot-pool.
Thanks.

xxsskxx

Dabbler
Hi xxsskxx,
I want to know how you delayed the boot manually, did you add rootdelay=10 to truenas.cfg? I added it too, but after reboot, it disappeared, and fails to boot, I have to manully import boot-pool.
Thanks.
It survived a reboot, but i lost it again after a powerdown. ill hav eto re-enable it, so I still experience this at times. I had to delay the boot manually durin startup for the pool to boot up correctly (i used the up an ddown arrow keys on the OS selection menu for about 10 seconds before hitting enter)

qwec01

Cadet
I think i got a solution. Go to truenas cli by typing 'cli' in the shell, this will bring you to truenas CLI, and type ``system advanced update kernel_extra_options="rootdelay=x"``, after that, type ``system advanced config``, this will show you a sheet, the `kernel_extra_options` is updated with rootdelay, and this can survive after reboot and shutdown.

xxsskxx

Dabbler
I think i got a solution. Go to truenas cli by typing 'cli' in the shell, this will bring you to truenas CLI, and type ``system advanced update kernel_extra_options="rootdelay=x"``, after that, type ``system advanced config``, this will show you a sheet, the `kernel_extra_options` is updated with rootdelay, and this can survive after reboot and shutdown.
Perfect, worked a treat, thanks

MikeLowry

Dabbler
After updating to 22.02.2 today, the system won't boot.
Booting stops at Begin: sleeping for.....done

If I select the RELEASE version on boot - all works as expected.

Any ideas?

Cheers
M

neofusion

Contributor
After updating to 22.02.2 today, the system won't boot.
Booting stops at Begin: sleeping for.....done

If I select the RELEASE version on boot - all works as expected.

Any ideas?

Cheers
M
Do you have any kind of USB storage attached to your system? Removing that has solved some users' issues.

If that doesn't help I suggest you make your own thread and post details about your hardware and configuration, maybe someone can spot something amiss.