SCALE 21.08-BETA2 Failed to start kubernetes cluster for Applications

etrigan63

Dabbler
OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.2
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Memory: 31 GiB

Upgraded my server from 21.06 to 21.08. I could install apps prior to the upgrade. Now, when I boot the system, I get the following alert:

Code:
Failed to start kubernetes cluster for Applications: 52

How do I manually start kubernetes if kubectl is not installed?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Weird, would need more details on the specific reason that kubernetes isn't starting. If you look at `systemctl status k3s` is there any other obvious errors in the log output?

etrigan63

Dabbler
I have subsequently found the problem. I installed tailscale (a nebula vpn) which started interfering with a bunch of services. After removing it, things returned to normal. My next question is how do I request the proper integration of tailscale? This would greatly simplify secure communications between two of my sites as it does not require poking holes in my firewalls or setting up a VPN server out on the internet.

jakub96124

Cadet
truenas# systemctl status k3s
● k3s.service - Lightweight Kubernetes
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/k3s.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2021-10-17 12:32:24 PDT; 4s ago
Docs: https://k3s.io
Process: 34616 ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe br_netfilter (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 34617 ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe overlay (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 34618 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/k3s server --flannel-backend=none --disable=traefik,metrics-server,local-storage --disable-kube-proxy --disable-network-policy --disable-cloud-controller --node-name=ix-truenas --docker (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 34618 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

roosey

Cadet
@etrigan63 thanks for posting this I've been beating my head ageist the wall trying to figure it out. I was about to give up