I have slow transfer speed over wifi on Trueness scale v 22.02.03

cvang3

Cadet
I have recently DYI Truenas scale 22.02.03 server and I am getting 20MBs write and 30 MBs read speed when transferring files over Wifi. I am running 4 Seagate Ironwolf 8TB in RaidZ and getting a Total of 20TB. I have checked my Network status on the Dashboard and it shows that my Media Subtype is: 1000MB/s Twisted pair so I'm assuming I am connected to a 1 Gigabits LAN on my router. I'm not sure what I did wrong since this is my first time building up a truenas server and not familiar much with tech. Is 20MB/s write and 30MB/s read normal speed when transfer over wifi? I'm a novice when come to server as I try to learn from Youtube videos. Any suggestion/test/tips that would help me would greatly appreciated.

Here is the spec I put together:

CPU: Intel i5 12400
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M Mortar Wifi DD4 Gaming Motherboard
Ram: 32GB TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan DDR4
Harddrive: SeaGate IronWolf 8TB NAS
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650 GT
Boot Drive: 240 SSD

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I have recently DYI Truenas scale 22.02.03 server and I am getting 20MBs write and 30 MBs read speed when transferring files over Wifi. I am running 4 Seagate Ironwolf 8TB in RaidZ and getting a Total of 20TB. I have checked my Network status on the Dashboard and it shows that my Media Subtype is: 1000MB/s Twisted pair so I'm assuming I am connected to a 1 Gigabits LAN on my router. I'm not sure what I did wrong since this is my first time building up a truenas server and not familiar much with tech. Is 20MB/s write and 30MB/s read normal speed when transfer over wifi? I'm a novice when come to server as I try to learn from Youtube videos. Any suggestion/test/tips that would help me would greatly appreciated.

Here is the spec I put together:

CPU: Intel i5 12400
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M Mortar Wifi DD4 Gaming Motherboard
Ram: 32GB TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan DDR4
Harddrive: SeaGate IronWolf 8TB NAS
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650 GT
Boot Drive: 240 SSD
That's a lot for wifi....
Use Gbe for faster.
You can do speed testing with iperf...

@cvang3

Welcome!

Are you confusing units?
B = Bytes = 8 bits
1Gb = 1000 bits

Also, you don't specify your wifi kit. Device, band, channel width, are their overlapping neighboring channels, distance to wifi, line of sight or through wall/floors, etc?

Last edited:

cvang3

Cadet
@cvang3

Welcome!

Are you confusing units?
B = Bytes = 8 bits
1Gb = 1000 bits

Also, you don't specify your wifi kit. Device, band, channel width, are their overlapping neighboring channels, distance to wifi, line of sight or through wall/floors, etc?
My router is NetGear NightHawk x6s AC4000. My router is about 45 feet away from my desk and my laptop is connected to my wifi 5GHz that is on channel 149 and speed can reach up to 1625 Mbps. I'm not sure or don't know about neighboring channels.