Resource icon

Scripted Plex installation

elorimer

Contributor
I get that error too, and I don't know why.

There is a whole thread here on hardware transcoding and TrueNAS. Worth reading and trying the manual steps, but at the end of the day it is very hit or miss. My processor is a Gemini Lake, and while it is capable of hardware transcoding there are driver issues that make it unwatchable.

T_T

Explorer
I'm trying to update plex using pkg update and get this mismatch below. How can I get rid of this mismatch and keep plex updated to the most recent version?
plex update issue.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your jail is running FreeBSD 11.3, which is EOL. If you upgrade it to 11.4, the error should go away.

Yorick

Wizard
Since FreeNAS is now legacy, the best way forward is arguably a migration to TrueNAS Core 12.0-U5, which should be seamless. There'll be a bit of work around pkg and upgrading the jail release to 12.2.

T_T

Explorer
Since FreeNAS is now legacy, the best way forward is arguably a migration to TrueNAS Core 12.0-U5, which should be seamless. There'll be a bit of work around pkg and upgrading the jail release to 12.2.

Would just upgrade the whole OS and then go into individual jail and upgrade the jails to be the same as the OS version?

Yorick

Wizard
Would just upgrade the whole OS and then go into individual jail and upgrade the jails to be the same as the OS version?

In a nutshell, yes. The steps, from memory, are:

- Upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0-U5 or later
- On SSH session to TrueNAS, iocage fetch and grab 12.2-RELEASE
- iocage list -l and then iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE jailname for one of the base jails, and every clone jail
- For each jail: iocage console jailname then pkg-static install -f -y pkg and then pkg upgrade -y

And that should do it. All jails upgraded to 12.2 and in line with TrueNAS Core 12.0, which runs FreeBSD 12.2.

Reactions: T_T

gobygoby

Dabbler
Is there a version of your script that works with TrueNAS Core 12.0?

One week ago, I had TrueNAS running well, a Plex Jail running well, and best of all, I had the hardware transcoding working. The hardware transcoding was very important to me because when it is working, my CPU usage (i7-4790) is under 10% and the CPU temperature is ~30C.

I replaced a Sata adapter with an HBA and I added an intel i350 nic, and somehow screwed up the Hardware Transcoding. Plex is still running, but I cannot get the hardware transcoding working again.

When I play videos on my local network, I don't need hardware transcoding, and the videos play fine, but when I remote user tries to watch something, my CPU usage goes to 95% and the CPU temperature shoots up. It's water cooled, so it will be ok, but I think it's still thermal throttling and trying to skip around in the video takes a lot longer than before. Everything was better when the hardware transcoding was working :(

I tried the instructions here: https://github.com/kern2011/Freenas-Quicksync as well as both of the freenas-iocage-plex and jailman scripts, but both of those only work with 11.3.

Do you know of any tutorials or scripts that work in 12.0?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a version of your script that works with TrueNAS Core 12.0?
AFAIK, this script works fine with 12.0. I can't speak for hardware transcoding, though.

gobygoby

Dabbler
Yes, you are correct, I should have made that more clear. It's just the hardware transcoding portion that isn't working anymore for me. And maybe it's something I messed up on my system, I don't know. I actually can't find what's wrong. The config files are created, plex is a user in the video group, the intel graphics drivers seem to be installed, the iGPU is showing up in both the main system and the jail. I copied the dev rules over, and followed all the instructions precisely, so I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next.

Yorick

Wizard
While you figure that out, you could always tell Plex to "Optimize" for 720p or whatever your remote users stream at: This would create additional files at that resolution, which then get used when someone streams. Zero transcoding.

gobygoby

Dabbler
I got hardware transcoding working! I'm not sure if it will still work after a reboot, but I don't want to test that now :)

I messed with so many things in the process of fixing this that I'm not exactly sure what combination of things were necessary and which things had no effect.

Weird issues I encountered were that the plex user and the video group got deleted. Exactly the same as this thread:

I had to recreate the video group, but for some reason it's working without a plex user. Not sure what's up with that.

T_T

Explorer
I used the default installation and my plex metadata was created as a directory. If I wanted to move this metadata directory to a different location (another new dataset that I will create). What do I have to configure for this to work? Can I just created a new dataset and then change the source and destination?
plex metadata.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I just created a new dataset and then change the source and destination?
If I understand you correctly, yes. Create the dataset, stop the jail, move the data from the current directory to the new dataset, adjust the mountpoint for the jail, restart the jail. On the mountpoint, the "source" is what needs to change, the destination shouldn't.

T_T

Explorer
If I understand you correctly, yes. Create the dataset, stop the jail, move the data from the current directory to the new dataset, adjust the mountpoint for the jail, restart the jail. On the mountpoint, the "source" is what needs to change, the destination shouldn't.
I tried that but it doesn't work. But when I switched back to the old plex_data directory then everything works fine. How would you move the data to a new dataset?

UPDATE:
- solved the issue by changing the permission of the new dataset to user:plex and group:plex. Now everything works!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mod note: If someone happens to be interested in a similar setup, but on Linux, this thread may be of interest.

xames

Patron
If I buy the Plex pass, I have to do something in my server?
Thanks

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
Nope, that’s connected to your Plex account which you sign into. No server side changes.

nikinp

Contributor
Hi to all,
My setup was working fine, but I stopped using for a couple of months.
However, now when I go to use the desktop/ios app the server is not visable.
I have used the http:/XXX.XXX.XXX.11:32400/web but it only leads me to the following page
Pinging the jail does give a response.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 123

xames

Patron
is plex script compatible with truena scale? im looking into it, but I don't know if Plex and netxcloud works fine there, and if I update all works or I have to start the script again?

victort

Guru
is plex script compatible with truena scale? im looking into it, but I don't know if Plex and netxcloud works fine there, and if I update all works or I have to start the script again?
No it is not. This script is only for CORE.
SCALE has its own app for plex.

SCALE and CORE are completely different operating systems, Linux and FreeBSD respectively.