Resource icon

Install Heimdall Dashboard in a jail

markymark832

Dabbler
quick question, when it comes to updating Heimdall is there a procedure? (if there is updates available)

danb35

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen an update come out for Heimdall, so I can't say for sure. There might be an auto-updater, which would be great. Otherwise I'd need to look into it then; I don't recall seeing any update instructions for it.

d_allan

Cadet
Hello @danb35 !

Firstly, many thanks for this, I have been using for quite a year now and it's perfect!

Unfortunately, just updated Freenas to Truenas 12.2. I was having some problems with the jail hosting Heimdall and like an idiot deleted it without thinking of the error message you get if the plugin is not modified for the latest release of Freenas (TrueNAS).

Is it possible to update it on your side ?
I'm facing this error message : 12.2-RC3 was not found! Failed to create jail

Thank you in advance,

d_allan

Cadet
Thanks a lot! Installation is now working again!
However, i'm catching a 404 error when trying to reach http://JAILIP.
Tried with different versions of heimdall but still the same. Have you already experienced this ?

I will keep checking on my side!

Thanks again for the update of the script!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Have you already experienced this ?
Can't say that I have, but it's been a while since I did an installation with this script. The caddyv2 branch might work better.

danb35

Hall of Famer

ByteNick

Explorer
Thanks a lot! Installation is now working again!
However, i'm catching a 404 error when trying to reach http://JAILIP.
Tried with different versions of heimdall but still the same. Have you already experienced this ?

I will keep checking on my side!

Thanks again for the update of the script!
Same issue here. I have been paying a lot with the CaddyFile, without any success.
Catching a 404 error when trying to reach http://JAILIP

ByteNick

Explorer
I'm pretty sure you'd need to browse by FQDN.
Not working either.

I have a caddy proxy jail made with your script. FQDN is set up (cloudflare).

My haeimdall CaddyFile looks like this:
Code:
:80 {
  root * /usr/local/www/html/public
  encode gzip
  php_fastcgi 127.0.0.1:9000 {
    env SERVER_PORT 80
  }
  file_server

log {
    format json
    output file /var/log/access.log {
      roll_keep 7
    }
  }

# External access denied to these files.
  @forbidden {
    path /wp-content/uploads/*.php
    path /.user.ini
    path /wp-content/debug.log
  }

respond @forbidden 404
}

danb35

Hall of Famer
@ByteNick, the issue you're seeing results from the fact that the FreeBSD Caddy package was updated to use Caddy v2 rather than Caddy v1. This was a bad move, as Caddy v2 broke backward compatibility with Caddy v1. The script has now been pretty significantly revised, and the Caddyfile updated for comptability with Caddy v2. If you were obtaining certs and doing TLS with your Heimdall jail, you'll at least need to edit your Caddyfile, and possibly recompile Caddy in your jail--instructions are now in the README.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
when it comes to updating Heimdall is there a procedure?
Somewhat of an old question, but this GitHub issue seems relevant:

Looks like there won't be a new release of PHP-based Heimdall; they're moving to a JavaScript-based version instead. It's uncertain at this point what effect that will have--at some point, the version I'm using will probably go away. I don't see any reason it would stop working, but they aren't likely to be fixing bugs or adding features.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Hjrr

Dabbler
Guys, is it possible to install Heimdall on FreeNAS 11.3U5 on the same IP as FreeNAS but a different port? I don't how to do that as I go through the PlugIn wizard?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Probably, but it would involve manually setting up port forwarding at the CLI, which you'd need to repeat when you reboot. I'm not familiar with how you'd do that under FreeBSD, but I expect it's possible.

But why would you want to do this? It seems like just assigning another IP to the jail, and using that, would be simpler way to go.

Hjrr

Dabbler
Many thanks! Started running RANCHER and you can create any number of CONTAINERS including Heimdall on the same IP, just a different port. I think that is a great way to consolidate IPs and keep things a bit cleaner. I am still running with a flat /24 network and with vSphere and all those IPs each host takes for vMotion, Management, plus all my LOM ip's I am starting to run out. I know I should switch my LOM on a separate management network, but need to figure out how to do this the right way (SSH port forwarding?)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Started running RANCHER and you can create any number of CONTAINERS including Heimdall on the same IP, just a different port.
TrueNAS 12 supports something like this (and it's the default way plugins are created), but I don't believe prior versions do.

Having upgraded from FreeNAS 11 to TrueNAS 12, I then upgraded my Heimdall jail from FreeBSD 11.3 to 12.2. This broke my Heimdall setup, but I realise that I must have been using an earlier version of the resource that used Caddy V1. While I can set up Heimdall again using the current script, I'm wondering if it's possible to copy over Heimdall config data across from the broken jail to the new jail rather than configure Heimdall again from scratch? If it's possible, what should I be coping across? Or would it be better for me to upgrade Caddy from V1 to V2 in the broken jail?

EDIT: I ended up running the updated script and configuring Heimdall from scratch.

Last edited:

wootness

Dabbler
I got heimdall to work with a bunch of my other apps via reverse proxy, but having a hard time getting nextcloud to work.
I installed nextcloud with your script, so the base URL is the same as heimdall, and I think that's causing the issue.
I played around with various settings for hours and cannot get it to work.
I'm using letsencyrpt on heimdall jail via 80/443 and nextcloud jail's caddyfile is setup without certs.

@danb35 thoughts?

Edit: I figured out a way to fix my issues. I created a new subdomain and modified the Caddyfile in Heimdall jail to reverse proxy into the nextcloud jail. Since the Heimdall Caddyfile header calls for the letsencrypt it works for both subdomains.

Last edited: