Why does dotNET (under a jail) require "mlock"?

Disclaimer: This is not a troubleshooting question. I have Jellyfin working perfectly in a jail on TrueNAS Core. :smile:
The reason for my question is just out of curiosity, and I love to learn more about concepts that are alien to me.

I have several jails running in my TrueNAS Core 13 server. (qBittorrent, Plex, aMule, a Swiss army knife, and Jellyfin.)

However, only the Jellyfin jail needs the "mlock" feature enabled. No other jail requires this. (I'm simply assuming that the instructions for running Jellyfin under a FreeBSD jail are accurate, and they bluntly emphasize that mlock must be enabled.)

Apparently, this is true for any dotNET application running inside of a jail.

My question is: Why?

I vaguely understand that this allows an application to safely lock pages in physical RAM, without allowing it to be swapped to disk. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

However, what I could not figure out, no matter where I looked online, is why dotNET specifically requires this?

What is special about dotNET applications that warrants mlock when running it under a jail, yet it's not necessary for most other applications?

If a jail's mlock feature is not enabled, and a dotNET application's virtual memory is swapped to disk/swapfile, will this crash the server or something?

Last edited: