Creating a jail to act as a Network Management/Monitoring System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3mmr

Explorer
Would it be reasonable to set up a jail under FreeNAS to perform Net-SNMP+MRTG-based monitoring of a network with around 20 - 30 SNMP Agents (mostly HP & EdgeCore Switches and a ZyWall Firewall/Router)?

(This is then NOT a question about the FreeNAS box being an SNMP agent, but about a FreeNAS jail performing the query function)

Has anybody else managed to do this?? What would you need to install?
Any stories of horror or bliss?

Why would I want to do this? Well, I have just managed to get a jail running as tftp server in the very network I want to monitor, so I'm sort of on a roll.

m0nkey_

MVP
Yes and I've done it. Just install MRTG and Net-SNMP, create a MRTG config and put it in a cron job. Just make sure it executes in cron with LANG=C otherwise it fails to run.

n3mmr

Explorer
I (basically) got it running. Rather straightforward, mainly.

HOWEVER, in viewing the generated index file (indexmaker generated it) I see some overly long titles for each little graph.

I set it up as 6 cols and set the --width to 100, and I had used the --subdirs=SNMPNAME_HOSTNAME cfgmaker option.

The titles look like "Traffic Analysis for 5 -- V1-TP23-25" and I would rather have it say V1-TP23-25:5 or something as short and to the point. In this, V1-TP23-25 is the SNMPNAME.
HOSTNAME is the IP address.

n3mmr

Explorer
BTW, I set mrtg up as a daemon, option RunAsDaemon: Yes, Interval: 5 in the config file.
Works a charm! And you lose the process startup cost.

m0nkey_

MVP
Good to know you got it working. You'll have to refer to the MRTG documentation.

n3mmr

Explorer
the MRTG documentation is scant and unclear.

Maybe we ought to go with Munin or Cacti.... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.