Recovery Attempt after NAS Installation and reboot

Disclaimer before I say anything:
I have never posted on here so if I'm doing anything wrong please lmk

I am having an issue with installing TrueNAS Core on my laptop.
when I go to install it, everything goes well and seems normal. It tells me to reboot and remove installation media (which in this case is a standard 256gb sandisk USB stick), which I do. When I restart it however, it goes to a bitlocker recovery screen rather than booting into the OS. I restart the computer oncemore and go into the BIOS boot menu, only to find the drive I installed the OS on (which is a standard 128gb microsd card) is entirely absent. I'm really confused as to what to do from here, and looking around online haven't found anything close.

My Laptop
Dell Lattitude 5300
16gb ram
256gb SSD (not showing up as an option to store from)
Intel core i5-8365U
ask for more details if needed (again I've never posted here so idk the formatting)
rp-example1.png

This is what it's giving me for reference (found this picture online)

Thanks to anyone who can help

I'm not sure why you'd want to set a laptop up as a NAS, as that's considered kind of "janky."

But, that's your business. Meanwhile:

I'm not sure why you'd want to set a laptop up as a NAS, as that's considered kind of "janky."

But, that's your business. Meanwhile:

I want to use a device that otherwise is useless with broken speakers and terrible battery life for a free Minecraft server/ free alternative to google drive premium

Using TrueNAS on your laptop to host a Minecraft server is going to be a rocky road best not traveled. Your effort is more efficiently spent on an OS more suitable to your needs:

As a side note, you might want to realize what you're in for:

...and what you'll end up with:

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
I want to use a device that otherwise is useless with broken speakers and terrible battery life for a free Minecraft server/ free alternative to google drive premium
It sounds like your laptop does not boot SD cards. Neither of my 2 laptops, (an old one from 2014, and the new from 2021), support booting off the included SD card reader. I HAVE a work around for Gentoo Linux, but I have no clue how to make it work for TrueNAS. And it may not be possible.

TrueNAS SCALE & Core both support booting off of a USB drive. Just don't expect cheap ones to last very long. You can use USB to SATA SSD / HDD, or USB to NVMe as a more reliable option. Their ARE a few high quality USB flash drives out their, just don't ask me which they are, I don't know.

You can use a laptop as a TrueNAS server, but one major goal of TrueNAS is to protect your data. Laptops tend not to have multiple internal disks, thus the desire to use USB attached disks for additional storage and or redundancy. USB attached storage is problematic for data drives with TrueNAS. Using just 1 data disk has no redundancy.

It sounds like your laptop does not boot SD cards. Neither of my 2 laptops, (an old one from 2014, and the new from 2021), support booting off the included SD card reader. I HAVE a work around for Gentoo Linux, but I have no clue how to make it work for TrueNAS. And it may not be possible.

TrueNAS SCALE & Core both support booting off of a USB drive. Just don't expect cheap ones to last very long. You can use USB to SATA SSD / HDD, or USB to NVMe as a more reliable option. Their ARE a few high quality USB flash drives out their, just don't ask me which they are, I don't know.

You can use a laptop as a TrueNAS server, but one major goal of TrueNAS is to protect your data. Laptops tend not to have multiple internal disks, thus the desire to use USB attached disks for additional storage and or redundancy. USB attached storage is problematic for data drives with TrueNAS. Using just 1 data disk has no redundancy.
That could be the problem. I'll keep you updated