initial installation filesystem

jcizzo

Explorer
Hi folks! absolute novice with truenas core here. I just performed my first installation of the OS last night and while i looked around the internet for answers, i never found anything that in my mind was a simple "yes/no" answer.

My installation of the os (on bare metal, across identical 512GB samsung SSD's, directly connected to the sata 3 ports on the motherboard), never prompted me to choose which filesystem i wanted to use, nor did it prompt me to choose which level of raid.

My question(s) are:
-Does truenas core default to zfs for the boot drives?
-Upon my placing the '*' next to the two drives i was installing the OS on, does it automatically create them as raid1 (mirrored with zfs)?

in pfsense, zfs is default but it gives filesystem options during the installation, plus it shows on the homepage/dashboard that the filesystem is zfs however i haven't found that on the truenas core dashboard.

thanks for your patience!

Arwen

MVP
There is no choice for OS or data file system(s). They are both ZFS. This is an appliance type software, so regardless of what FreeBSD may support, TrueNAS Core or SCALE only use ZFS, (for OS & data). You can import disks with other file systems, but they are not usable as NFS or Samba shares. However, after the import is done, the data will be on a ZFS data pool, which IS sharable.

Yes, selecting both SSDs during install would make a mirror of them for the OS. The OS drive only needs to be 16GB to 64GB, depending on if you use swap on it or not.

As a new user, their are lots of Resources available, (see tab at top of any forum page). Here are some useful ones for new users:

jcizzo

Explorer
There is no choice for OS or data file system(s). They are both ZFS. This is an appliance type software, so regardless of what FreeBSD may support, TrueNAS Core or SCALE only use ZFS, (for OS & data). You can import disks with other file systems, but they are not usable as NFS or Samba shares. However, after the import is done, the data will be on a ZFS data pool, which IS sharable.

Yes, selecting both SSDs during install would make a mirror of them for the OS. The OS drive only needs to be 16GB to 64GB, depending on if you use swap on it or not.

As a new user, their are lots of Resources available, (see tab at top of any forum page). Here are some useful ones for new users:

cool, thanks! yeah, i only want zfs, just wasn't sure if i had to select it when doing the installation.

Re: scale and zfs: You're saying that if i were to download and create a thumbdrive installer for scale, it would install on zfs from the get-go? I thought there's a licensing issue that prevents the linux kernel from being able to be installed on a bootable zfs volume.. i've read about the work-arounds for linux on zfs but, for example, i still can't download bare-bones debian onto a thumbdrive and install it on a zfs partition by choice on a menu.. at least i was unaware of that..

Thanks again!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I thought there's a licensing issue that prevents the linux kernel from being able to be installed on a bootable zfs volume
Canonical (Ubuntu) doesn't think so. Neither does Proxmox--both of those are capable of installing to, and booting from, ZFS. Nor, apparently, does iXSystems. Yes, TrueNAS SCALE boots from ZFS, just like CORE.