Would TrueNAS be a good choice for me if I am just using it for a Plex Media Server?

YaarPatandar

Cadet
I am new to Plex and learning as I go about Plex and NAS. I currently has Plex running via FreeNAS(TrueNAS Core) on a Desktop PC I had. This PC doesn't have ECC RAM, and TrueNAS put the drive filesystem as ZFS.

My Setup is a single dive (backup is stored on a separate external drive).

My question is that is TrueNAS(FreeNAS) is a good choice for me just needing to use Plex. Plus with the fact the drive is in ZFS with the PC having non-ECC RAM.

ThreeDee

Guru
A lot of people run TrueNAS on desktop hardware .. that being said, if you run into issues using non-recommended hardware, then you are on your own .. some will chime in and still try to help you though.

At least use an SSD for a boot drive instead of a thumb drive .. if the onboard NIC is Realtek .. then pick up an Intel network card and throw it your box to save yourself some potential headaches .. you can generally find used server gear for reasonably priced as well... and who knows .. you might be able to swap out your current CPU and run ECC RAM...check your motherboard manufacturers website for compatibility.

My Setup is a single dive (backup is stored on a separate external drive).

My question is that is TrueNAS(FreeNAS) is a good choice for me just needing to use Plex. Plus with the fact the drive is in ZFS with the PC having non-ECC RAM.
Well, probably not in your case. It sounds like you've got backup covered and use of a more common filesystem like exFAT or NTFS appears to be more to your liking. TrueNAS has a storage focus and a steep learning curve.

If simplicity is important, a low-cost Plex Server alternative is the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro. There are a few minor limitations to be aware of, but there are some flexible media options, which might suit you.