Planning for extending a pool with a new vdev

darrenbest

Dabbler
I have a new home box (for local backups, Plex server, maybe Zoneminder) I'm putting together as I can afford the parts.
  • X11SSM-F motherboard (8 SATA ports, unused PCI-E slots)
  • Core i3-7100 CPU
  • 16GB ram (2 x 8GB ECC, 2 free slots)
  • Node 804 case (room for 8x3.5" drives, plus 2x2.5" drives)
Currently I'm playing with TrueNAS Core 12 (using two old 1TB drives (mirrored) for data, and an old 60GB SSD for the boot), just to get used to what it can do, but soon I'll purchase four drives (likely 6TB Red Plus) when I go "production". Planning on all four drives in a single vdev, RAID-z1 (effective capacity of 18TB).

Now, how should I plan for when 18TB is no longer enough?

For the most "elegant" solution, I would like to extend the existing pool with another vdev. I know from the documentation (https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/initial-setup/storage/managingpools/), I have to add another vdev of the same type (another four drives in RAID-z1). What the docs don't say is: does the new vdev have to be the same CAPACITY? When I add another four drives, do they have to also be 6TB drives? Or can I use larger drives to make a vdev to add to the pool?

If not, I may have to add the news drives in a new, separate pool, and use larger drives in whatever configuration I want, while dealing with the fact that I won't have a single cohesive volume. Which, admittedly, would give me more flexibility in the VERY long term (should I ever decide my eight-drive box is no longer big enough). Still, I would like an answer to the above question, while I still have a lot of time to plan for it. Thanks.