Pool/VDEV Recommendations

cincibcat9

Dabbler
I currently have the follow drives
2 - 4TB WD Red Plus
1 - 3TB WD Red

I was initially thinking of mirroring the 2 4TB drives, but wasnt sure if it was worth adding another drive and choose z1 instead.

Also should I create a new pool for the 3TB drive? Or should/can this be added to the same pool as the mirrored drives?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Please read the ZFS introduction from the "Recommended readings" in my signature. That will give you more background on ZFS and perhaps even answers your questions already.

cincibcat9

Dabbler
Thanks for the response! After a pass through the 'ZFS Intro' doc, I might just mirror the 2 4TB drives. It seems like z1 isnt really commended. Just need to figure out what I want to do with the 3TB drive.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Well, you can either use all 3 in RAIDZ1 with a net capacity of about 6 TB, or go for a mirror with 4 TB. Mirrors are better for random I/O, so it depends on your use-case.

cincibcat9

Dabbler
It'll primarily be used for backing up photos and docs, and streaming things via Plex.

Backing up photos and streaming large videos, you'll likely find better performance when they are saved to a dataset with a recordsize policy of 1MiB.