Migrating from Ubuntu Server to TrueNAS

zeno

Dabbler
Hi all!

I currently have a home server running Ubuntu Server which I was thinking of migrating to TrueNAS, but I'm kinda sitting on the fence and didn't want to do the jump before consulting with you guys. The setup is my "old", recycled PC which sports an i5-10600K, 16GB RAM (non-ECC), a 128GB SSD for the OS, and 4x Seagate IronWolves (ZFS RAID 10). I've been reading a bit online and found out that it may be better to use TrueNAS Core due to the fact that it seems as if the majority of tutorials out there are based on FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core. However, I've never touched BSD, so I'd kinda have to start from scratch (not a deal-breaker at all), being used to Linux; and Linux seems to have a broader support platform, when speaking of available software.

TL;DR:
  • Coming from Linux, would you recommend TrueNAS Scale or would you recommend Core anyway?
  • Can I safely migrate from Ubuntu Server to TrueNAS Core or do I have to migrate to Scale in order to keep my data?
  • What are some good practices to migrate safely and/or where can I find good resources?
Thank you all in advance

jgreco

Resident Grinch
However, I've never touched BSD, so I'd kinda have to start from scratch (not a deal-breaker at all), being used to Linux;

Both of these are largely irrelevant. TrueNAS is an appliance operating system, which means that the vast majority of the time, you're going to be interacting with it through the appliance webGUI. It is sometimes handy to have some familiarity with the underlying operating systems if you are going to be doing tweaking, scripting, more sophisticated stuff with jails or containers, but even there, it helps to remember that Linux aspires to be a UNIX clone, and FreeBSD is a lineal descendant of real UNIX. They really aren't horribly different, and familiarity with one generally cross-pollinates well with the other.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If you stick to the UI each one will potentially work fine. If you are only wanting sharing services (iSCSI, SMB, NFS) then CORE will do perfectly fine for you. If you plan to deploy Apps, VMs, have more exotic hardware needs, or want the newer UI interface experience, then SCALE is going to be a better bet for the long haul.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@zeno , why do you consider moving away from Ubuntu server?

zeno

Dabbler
They really aren't horribly different, and familiarity with one generally cross-pollinates well with the other.
That's reassuring

If you are only wanting sharing services (iSCSI, SMB, NFS) then CORE will do perfectly fine for you.
Yeah, I was planning on using it for streaming/data sharing and backups. So, if that's the case, I'll just give CORE a go. Thanks!

why do you consider moving away from Ubuntu server?
To be completely honest with you, I want to enjoy the full capabilities of ZFS and it seems like a way better option for my use-case to have a great ootb experience. I have been somewhat satisfied with Ubuntu Server and the experience of setting it up (I'm by no means an expert or fully learnt) has been priceless.

It's difficult to describe, but when setting up things yourself there's always something... missing, if you know what I mean? I guess it's from the fact that I'm new to "home-servering", as I always seem to forget something.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Understood. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that TrueNAS is an appliance. If you want the flexibility to install arbitrary programs, do whatever you want, etc. I would recommend that you stay on Ubuntu. In this regard there are, like with any appliance, considerable restrictions in place.

We have recently had a few people realize this after they had switched to TrueNAS and they were somewhat disappointed. That is also why I so often ask people for their use-case and motivation.