Migrating Server from CORE to SCALE

gabe.dunn

Cadet
Hey! I've been a TrueNAS user for a few months now, and it's been great. I chose CORE mainly because I didn't even look into SCALE, assuming CORE to be the only free option.

I don't have many issues with CORE, but I think I would very much like to switch to SCALE for a number of reasons. The main one is I am a linux daily driver, so while FreeBSD is similar, I would prefer a linux base. I would also prefer to use docker to manage plugins, as the jails are a cool feature, but the ones I use are less stable and don't get upgraded often.

I run AdGuard, deluge, home assistant, jackett, lidarr, NextCloud, Plex, radarr, sonarr, & tautilli. I wouldn't mind configuring most of those from scratch again, I haven't done anything too specific, but the main thing I don't want to lose is the data in the pools.

I have an almost 20 TB media library on the server, and it would be a big hassle to download it all again, and I would like to avoid that. I will be using the same hardware, so I'm wondering if there's a more that I would have to do than export the pool, disconnect the drives, wipe the OS drive & install SCALE, and then plug the drives back in and import the pool.

Another question I had that is somewhat unrelated, I installed CORE on a 500GB NVMe, but I couldn't use that storage for anything afterwards. Is that by design? Should I use something smaller as the OS drive?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
You can install fresh + import as you describe just fine, otherwise there are online update options available as well.

And yes, for OS drives usually smaller is better. I grabbed some 64G and 120G cheap M2's for my boxes, which have worked fantastic.

gabe.dunn

Cadet
You can install fresh + import as you describe just fine, otherwise there are online update options available as well.

And yes, for OS drives usually smaller is better. I grabbed some 64G and 120G cheap M2's for my boxes, which have worked fantastic.
Oh sweet, thanks for the link! Glad to hear migrating drives is as easy as that.

I think I'll pick up a cheap 64G M.2 so I can put that 500GB one into my desktop.