Migrating from TrueNAS Core to Truenas Scale... questions about migrating Apps

Mark Holtz

Contributor
I'm currently using the following jails:
  • Plex for everything but books and audiobooks
  • Emby for books and audiobooks
  • qTorrent
I'm planning to migrate my TrueNAS server from Core to Scale. One of the big reasons is that the jails being supplied aren't updated, especially for Plex. But, I have a couple of questions in regards to migrating Plex and keeping my metadata since Scale uses "Apps" while Core uses soon-to-be-obsoleted jails. Emby and qTorrent can be rebuilt from scratch,

1. As Plex is running in a Docker container now, does it now support SonicAnalysis for audio files? This was a missing feature because the library doesn't exist in FreeNAS jails.
2. I'm using the following script to backup my server:
Code:
tar
--exclude=/Plex\ Media\ Server/Cache
--exclude=/Plex\ Media\ Server/Backup
--exclude=/Plex\ Media\ Server/Vaultron
-zcvf /Plex\ Media\ Server/Backup/Plexbackup.tar.gz
/Plex\ Media\ Server

I'm excluding the Cache folder as that can be recreated. Backup and Vaultron are mapped to my backup and media folders directly. This leaves me with the following:
  • .LocalAdminToken
  • Codecs
  • Diagnostics
  • Drivers
  • Library
  • Logs
  • Media
  • Metadata
  • Plug-in Support
  • Plug-ins
  • Preferences.xml
  • Scanners
  • Scripts
  • Setup Plex.html
  • Updates
Can any of these items be ignored as well, such as Setup Plex.html, the Logs folder, or the Media folder?

3. So, I imagine the steps would be as follows:
  1. Set up the Plex app in TrueNAS Scale and set up mapping for the Media folder.
  2. Stop the App in TrueNAS Scale.
  3. Extract the folders using tar zvxf Plexbackup.tar.gz -C . in the directory below Plex Media Server .
  4. Restart the App in TrueNas Scale.
  5. Remap all of the directories in the new server.
  6. Remove all of the old directory mappings.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm currently using the following jails:
  • Plex for everything but books and audiobooks
  • Emby for books and audiobooks
  • qTorrent
I'm planning to migrate my TrueNAS server from Core to Scale. One of the big reasons is that the jails being supplied aren't updated, especially for Plex. But, I have a couple of questions in regards to migrating Plex and keeping my metadata since Scale uses "Apps" while Core uses soon-to-be-obsoleted jails. Emby and qTorrent can be rebuilt from scratch,

1. As Plex is running in a Docker container now, does it now support SonicAnalysis for audio files? This was a missing feature because the library doesn't exist in FreeNAS jails.
2. I'm using the following script to backup my server:
Code:
tar
--exclude=/Plex\ Media\ Server/Cache
--exclude=/Plex\ Media\ Server/Backup
--exclude=/Plex\ Media\ Server/Vaultron
-zcvf /Plex\ Media\ Server/Backup/Plexbackup.tar.gz
/Plex\ Media\ Server

I'm excluding the Cache folder as that can be recreated. Backup and Vaultron are mapped to my backup and media folders directly. This leaves me with the following:
  • .LocalAdminToken
  • Codecs
  • Diagnostics
  • Drivers
  • Library
  • Logs
  • Media
  • Metadata
  • Plug-in Support
  • Plug-ins
  • Preferences.xml
  • Scanners
  • Scripts
  • Setup Plex.html
  • Updates
Can any of these items be ignored as well, such as Setup Plex.html, the Logs folder, or the Media folder?

3. So, I imagine the steps would be as follows:
  1. Set up the Plex app in TrueNAS Scale and set up mapping for the Media folder.
  2. Stop the App in TrueNAS Scale.
  3. Extract the folders using tar zvxf Plexbackup.tar.gz -C . in the directory below Plex Media Server .
  4. Restart the App in TrueNas Scale.
  5. Remap all of the directories in the new server.
  6. Remove all of the old directory mappings.

Are you planning to use the same server and same ZFS pool?

If so, its probably possible just to point the SCALE App to the same Plex dataset.
Backing up the data is still good.

Mark Holtz

Contributor
I'm encountering the following error when I am un-taring the Plex backup....

tar: Plex Media Server/Metadata/Artists/4/ee92c55ad33c66bff10aff1a67e32d7a8375028.bundle/Contents: Cannot change mode to rwxr-xr-x: Operation not permitted tar: Plex Media Server/Metadata/Artists/4: Cannot change mode to rwxr-xr-x: Operation not permitted tar: Plex Media Server/Metadata/Artists: Cannot change mode to rwxr-xr-x: Operation not permitted tar: Plex Media Server: Cannot change mode to rwxr-xr-x: Operation not permitted tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

The command I'm using is tar -zvxf /mnt/pool/backup/Plex/Plexbackup.tar.gz -C .

One error I keep getting over and over is "Cannot change mode to rwxr-xr-x: Operation not permitted". What am I missing?