Can I host my own server on TrueNAS?

Keyakinan

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a kinda wierd situation, I live in a student dorm and the ethernet cable that comes out of the wall is connected to a router of my housing corperation.
Without their router I cannot use the internet.. I have my own router connected to their router and all my devices are connected to my router.

I have my microserver with TrueNAS also connected to my own router but I'm not sure how I go about exposing the NAS (SAFELY) to the internet.
In the end I want to (again safely) host my own website and something like couchpotato + plex.

If possible at all, could someone point me in the right direction. I think it will be something like portforwarding but with the extra router I'm not sure..
I'm kinda new to all this and the most I'm worried about is security.

Hardware:
HP Proliant Microserver gen8

Software (future):
Couchpotato
VM with ubuntu and a server for my website
Plex

Attachments

• Netwerk layout.png
    Netwerk layout.png
    10 KB · Views: 183

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You'll have to see if your housing cooperation will forward port 80 and/or 443 to the WAN on your router. Without that you're stuck behind double NAT and there's no path out for your NAS.

Keyakinan

Dabbler
You'll have to see if your housing cooperation will forward port 80 and/or 443 to the WAN on your router. Without that you're stuck behind double NAT and there's no path out for your NAS.

I do have access to their router in my room and can port forward, is that what you mean and enough?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes. You will have to port forward from their router to your WAN. From there you'll have to set up a port forward on your router as well to the jail you want to host a service on.