Lost Internet Connection?

hkelly

Cadet
Hello,

I have a truenas that I built 4-6 months ago that has worked perfectly. I'm using a b450m motherboard and a ryzen 2300g. It's hardwired to my router.

Today, I noticed that it keeps dropping it's internet connection. I'm trying to do a backup using Acronis, and it stops and I no longer have access to the box. I tried pinging it and looking on my router and I don't see it connected.

Looking at the logs, I see a watchdog error and it mentions the link goes up/down a bit. I did "cat /var/log/messages", is there anywhere else I can look for more information? I don't see any errors reported anywhere else besides the log file and I'm not entirely sure what to try next.

Thanks!

That sounds like a physical issue. Try swapping the patch cord first. I could be your NIC or the port in your router. After swapping patch cords, try moving it to a different port in the router if the patch cord swap didn't help.

hkelly

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply!

I swapped the cable to a desktop I have and didn’t run into any issues. I’m using the Ethernet port on the motherboard, so maybe that has a problem.

Im going to order a new NIC and see if that works.

Assuming it is a gigabit NIC, I would suggest an Intel i350 based card. Try to avoid China based sellers since there have been more than a few instances of counterfeit/discards being sold out of there.