SOLVED Noob building own NAS, 0.0.0.0

RKBock

Cadet
Dear TrueNAS community,

I've decided to convert my old pre-build PC into a NAS. Unfortunately, I can't get it to connect to the network (I've tried to find the solution here in the forum but was unsuccessful).
It is a fresh install of TrueNAS Core 12.0.

Specs:
i7 3770
8GB DDR3 (I know, 16 is recommended, but I've been consulted beforehand here, that it should be enough if I only use it as storage)
MB: H-Joshua-H61-uATX (and therefore RTL8171FH-CG gigabit Ethernet controller)
Router: FRITZ!Box 7490
SSD: Kingston 120GB

I've tried different cables, I've tried to set up a static IP, DHCP is activated in the router. I live in a dorm and get internet directly through the wall so I use my router purely for a local network and WiFi. I've tried to plug the NAS into the wall directly. Nothing helped.
I've tried a few other things, but I really don't know anything about networks. So please, talk to me like I'm mentally challenged and barely know what an IP address is.

During startup, one of the lines also says:
Code:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vmm, 0xffffffff83814e60, 0) error 6

Please help me. Thank you in advance.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Realtek ethernet chipsets often don't work well with FreeBSD, and, to a lesser extent, Linux.

TrueNAS Core uses FreeBSD, which is going to tend to not be that compatible with them. You can try adding an Intel Desktop CT ethernet adapter card if you'd like, which will probably fix the issue at the cost of a slot.

You can also try out TrueNAS Scale, which is based on Linux. This may cause the card to (airquotes) "work", but it is quite possible that it still won't work well.

RKBock

Cadet
I've run Ubuntu on it just fine and had no problems with the connection...
Is there no way to install some kind of driver for it to work?

TrueNAS Scale seems to be very complicated (I have no idea what "Hyperconverged Storage that Scales Up or Out" is supposed to mean, nor do I really understand what a container is).

Is buying and installing new hardware that might not work really my only option?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
SCALE will more or less do all the same things you'll be wanting from CORE, but with the added benefit of the additional driver support.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
TrueNAS Scale is not particularly more complicated than Core, for simple single-machine scenarios.

As for the NIC situation, short answer is yes. Long answer is that Intel NICs are trouble-free (cutting edge stuff with immature drivers excluded) and Intel has long been the gold standard for 1GbE NICs. They’re also very good for 10GbE and I have no reason to believe the same won’t apply to 25GbE or even 2.5GbE once the driver for the latter one matures.

Thing is, the RTL8111 series is garbage, but it’s a known quantity and can be Corralled (pun intended) into mostly working. But you don’t have an RTL8111. I have little to no idea what an RTL8171 is - Realtek doesn’t even seem to acknowledge its existence! As far as I know, it could be a rip-off by some shady Chinese fab that reverse-engineered the Realtek stuff (for when 1.76$ is too much cash for a GbE controller).
Which is to say you sort of drew the short straw on this one. Typically, users get a bit further even with Realtek.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
but with the added benefit of the additional driver support.

Or the additional hassle, depending on the specifics.

I've run Ubuntu on it just fine and had no problems with the connection...

NAS network connections are very different from desktop connections, so unless you've run Ubuntu in a role where it is pushing lots of data, that's not a particularly meaningful datapoint. There is a difference between "it works" and "it works well".

I see @Ericloewe just popped in with a few more comments, so I won't repeat what he just said.

vidx

Dabbler
Dear TrueNAS community,

I've decided to convert my old pre-build PC into a NAS. Unfortunately, I can't get it to connect to the network (I've tried to find the solution here in the forum but was unsuccessful).
It is a fresh install of TrueNAS Core 12.0.

Specs:
i7 3770
8GB DDR3 (I know, 16 is recommended, but I've been consulted beforehand here, that it should be enough if I only use it as storage)
MB: H-Joshua-H61-uATX (and therefore RTL8171FH-CG gigabit Ethernet controller)
Router: FRITZ!Box 7490
SSD: Kingston 120GB

I've tried different cables, I've tried to set up a static IP, DHCP is activated in the router. I live in a dorm and get internet directly through the wall so I use my router purely for a local network and WiFi. I've tried to plug the NAS into the wall directly. Nothing helped.
I've tried a few other things, but I really don't know anything about networks. So please, talk to me like I'm mentally challenged and barely know what an IP address is.

During startup, one of the lines also says:
Code:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vmm, 0xffffffff83814e60, 0) error 6

Please help me. Thank you in advance.
There is support for Realtek but you will need to have a monitor to access the Truenas boot menu.

Add this line to /boot/loader.conf

Code:
if_re_load="YES"

Restart

Add the code to System->Tunables to make it permanent.

RKBock

Cadet
There is support for Realtek but you will need to have a monitor to access the Truenas boot menu.

Add this line to /boot/loader.conf

Code:
if_re_load="YES"

Restart

Add the code to System->Tunables to make it permanent.
First of all: Thank you all very much for your answers!!!

I've updated the BIOS (didn't help) and now tried your suggestion. It worked!!! (My next step would have been to try TrueNAS scale)

For permanent solution I have to simply go to Tunables and add variable: if_re_load, value: YES?

Thank you vidx in particular!

Last edited:

vidx

Dabbler
First of all: Thank you all very much for your answers!!!

I've updated the BIOS (didn't help) and now tried your suggestion. It worked!!! (My next step would have been to try TrueNAS scale)

For permanent solution I have to simply go to Tunables and add variable: if_re_load, value: YES?

Thank you vidx in particular!
Not a problem!

Yes, in Tunables, add the variable if_re_load as a LOADER and value YES. That will make the change permanent even when you upgrade the system to newer versions.

Last edited: