OpenVPN - Can connect, can ping but can't access shares

Invizion

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm new here and barely new into TrueNAS (basically less than 24h). I have somewhat knowledge how everything works, but I'm missing something while trying to configure OpenVPN.

I have some shares and Plex Media server already configured and tested in local network with success. Those where used for tests while connected to VPN.
So, I've made the following configuration:
- Configured nsupdate.info;
- Created CA;
- Created Server Cert;
- Created User Cert;
- Port Forward 1194 in my router;

Those are my configurations to OpenVPN Server:

1640889605491.png

My home subnet is 192.168.0.0/24
I've used my cellphone to access VPN and make some tests.

What I've could get:
- Can connect to VPN and got IP 10.20.0.2;
- From TrueNAS shell could ping 10.20.0.2 so it seems I'm really connected;
- Can't access shares or truenas.local/IP;

I've tried to configure shares using IP, hostname (with and without smb://) in my cellphone.
I guess I'm missing something, but I really can't figure out what.

Could anyone give me some advice in what should I look into? Thank you.

Note: Please apologize my bad English :)

tom3f

Cadet
Hello i had problem with OpenVPN server too. I my case i changed topology to subnet and i can access on vpn IP in your case it should be 10.20.0.1

Invizion

Dabbler
Thanks for your answer. I added some routing information and now I can access all my information :)

anon4324239685

Dabbler
Thanks for your answer. I added some routing information and now I can access all my information :)
Hi @Invizion , can you be more specific in what you did to fix the issue? I'm having the same problem and can't access my LAN ip. I can access the NAS box but no any other IP.

My LAN is 192.168.1.0/24
VPN subnet is 192.168.2.0/24

My config is similar to your screenshot and I added the line "push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"" in the additional parameters textbox.

Can you post a screenshot to where you did put the routing information? Thank you!
Here is a screenshot of OVPN service.
1644362230377.png

PiepsC

Cadet
Hi @Invizion , can you be more specific in what you did to fix the issue? I'm having the same problem and can't access my LAN ip. I can access the NAS box but no any other IP.

My LAN is 192.168.1.0/24
VPN subnet is 192.168.2.0/24

My config is similar to your screenshot and I added the line "push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"" in the additional parameters textbox.

Can you post a screenshot to where you did put the routing information? Thank you!
Here is a screenshot of OVPN service.
View attachment 52960
I face a similar issue which I asked help for in my own thread. If you do not use jails dependent on internet connection themselves (e.g. with their own VNET interfaces) like shares, the solution is in there. You can achieve routing to the subnet by adding a few natd tunables, assuming you have also already set up the static routes. It is all explained in the video in the thread.

If however you do have jails with their own network stack, like myself, then it will break those. In that case feel free to bump it and wait patiently for more cunning/experienced users than ourselves to give a helping hand. Thread can be found here:

anon4324239685

Dabbler
I face a similar issue which I asked help for in my own thread. If you do not use jails dependent on internet connection themselves (e.g. with their own VNET interfaces) like shares, the solution is in there. You can achieve routing to the subnet by adding a few natd tunables, assuming you have also already set up the static routes. It is all explained in the video in the thread.

If however you do have jails with their own network stack, like myself, then it will break those. In that case feel free to bump it and wait patiently for more cunning/experienced users than ourselves to give a helping hand. Thread can be found here:
Yes I do have a few other jails that must have access to internet. Thanks for the reply, I'll go bump and subscribe to your post!

Last edited:

Invizion

Dabbler
@anon4324239685 , I'm very sorry for the delay in answering you.
In my case, I just made adjustments. After doing everything, just saw this post that was exactly what I did: