Help with VPN setup (OpenVPN Client) so all NAS outgoing traffic uses the VPN connection

metri

Cadet
I'm a new user and very confused. I think it would be best to explain what I want to achieve.

I live in China and for all cloud syncing and accessing sites like Github, I have to go through some kind of VPN. My specific VPN service provider is called ExpressVPN, which in theory can be accessed by a generic OpenVPN client.

I've read that it's a bad idea to have TrueNAS act as an OpenVPN client, but I'm not sure why. My problem is that I can't use the basic services of TrueNAS without being connected to the internet via VPN. I could setup my router as a VPN client, but then access for things that don't need a VPN are very slow. I prefer a setup where I can turn on/off the VPN client on a per device basis.

My objectives for having OpenVPN client configured
1. I would like to be able to use the plugins tab in the TrueNAS webUI
2. I would like to setup sync to OneDrive (Can't setup credentials without VPN Connection)

My VPN Service provider is ExpressVPN which provides an .opvpn file with certificate keys and other openVPN settings.

I did try setting up the OpenVPN client, but starting the service simply says Unable to Start Service. I'm not sure where to go to get the detailed error.

Code:
dev tun
fast-io
persist-key
persist-tun
nobind
remote usa-losangeles5-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195

remote-random
pull
comp-lzo no
tls-client
verify-x509-name Server name-prefix
ns-cert-type server
key-direction 1
route-method exe
route-delay 2
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1300
mssfix 1200
verb 3
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
auth SHA512
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
auth-user-pass

<cert>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
Data Removed
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</cert>
<key>
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Data Removed
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
</key>
<tls-auth>
#
# 2048 bit OpenVPN static key
#
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
Data Removed
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-auth>
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
Data Removed
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

Any thoughts on this setup would be very much appreciated.