Error upon booting from USB after installation (11.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtspace

Cadet
I had posted on the FreeNAS subreddit, but didn't get much help so I'm here. This was my post, since it's still the same issue I'm dealing with :

I've had trouble getting into FreeNAS 11.0 after burning the ISO to a CD, then I installed the CD onto a 16GB USB drive. The USB drive is visible in the boot menu as a boot option, but when I select it, Windows is booted from my Hitachi HDD drive with Windows 10 OS on it.

Boot menu
System info
Boot order

It might be fair to mention that I just built this PC the other night. The system has an x64 i7-2600 CPU, Pegatron 2ab5 mobo, 16GB of RAM, 500W PSU, with a 2TB Hitachi drive, a 3TB WD Red drive, and a 500MB Seagate drive, waiting on a SCSI controller for the Seagate though.

The USB I used for the FreeNAS OS is: (reading from properties menu) USB Flash DISK USB Device (Standard disk drives) on USB Mass Storage Device. It hasn't been formatted, and I cleared the data from it just before using it to boot.

After not being able to boot the first time, I put FreeNAS on the USB again, to see if there was a problem during installation, but nothing changed. I've also tried booting on another USB with no success.

**UPDATE: In the process of resetting PC to factory settings. I'll update again when it's completely reset and try again.

**UPDATE: After restoring Windows 10 to default, FreeNAS still fails to load. After clicking the USB, the screen flashes black, then loads Windows 10. I've gone over the BSD handbook and can't find any reason for this error to occur as FreeBSD runs well on amd64.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Try disconnecting your windows disk and see what happens.

Also during the freenas install did you select bios or uefi install?

wtspace

Cadet
Try disconnecting your windows disk and see what happens.

Also during the freenas install did you select bios or uefi install?
I haven't tried disconnecting that HDD, I will now that you mention it.

I selected BIOS because almost all of my devices are only bios-compatible.

**UPDATE: Tried booting without the Windows 10 HDD. Now I'm getting "Disk not detected or disk has failed". I've gotten this error on a Gorilla USB and an ADATA USB. I'm now going to try a SanDisk USB. Any other solution for this error?

I've actually just disabled booting from UEFI in BIOS.

**UPDATE AGAIN: Ok so it failed with the SanDisk USB too. I've just noticed that before the "Disk not detected or disk has failed" error, I get a media device error that tells me to check a cable. This error follows "Realtek PCI Family Controller" not connected, or something like that. I've had this problem with the Ethernet connection lately. Even after resetting Windows completely.

The problem with this is that my mobo doesn't support the latest version of Windows. It's never given me a problem until this build however. I'll try getting an earlier version of Windows downloaded, so that I can download the adapters straight from the mobo website.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why are you even talking about Windows. Throw that to the side, you are installing freenas.

Do the install with uefi mode since it sounds like your system supports it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

wtspace

Cadet
Why are you even talking about Windows. Throw that to the side, you are installing freenas.

Do the install with uefi mode since it sounds like your system supports it.

A lot of my devices/drivers haven't been functioning due to the incompatibility between OS/hardware. I've changed back to Windows 7 and have done my best to get my drivers in order so that the system can function as intended.

One problem I was having was that the FreeNAS installer would not allow me to install on any particular drive. Also, my FreeNAS CD got corrupted. After the "Install FreeNAS" screen, an underscore blinks for eternity. I've downloaded the latest version of FreeBSD since I'll also be using pfsense. I'll be installing it in UEFI mode.

I'll keep you posted.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Drivers in Windows are completely different than drivers in freenas. Having issues with Windows drivers does not mean freenas will have driver issues. Also with Windows 7/8/10 there will never be driver issues, they solved that problem.

wtspace

Cadet
Drivers in Windows are completely different than drivers in freenas. Having issues with Windows drivers does not mean freenas will have driver issues. Also with Windows 7/8/10 there will never be driver issues, they solved that problem.

I've downloaded FreeBSD to a CD and when I try to boot from it I get "Booting from CDROM with Multiple Boot Image" followed by "Select Boot Image: 0.." and I can type any number. If I enter 0, it gives me loading characters but goes nowhere. If I enter any other number I get "j" followed by a flashing underscore.

Any ideas?

Really wish this would get easier at some point.

Stux

MVP
Re-enable UEFI booting.

Try using different USB ports. Sounds like you're using RealTek ones when you want to be using Intel ports.

Forget about Windows. Just leave the drive unplugged until you get FreeNAS booting.

wtspace

Cadet
Is it normal to get these errors repeating? I've recently installed an SCSI controller with my SCSI HDD. While in Windows there doesn't seem to be any issue with the device.

SCSI status: Check Condition
SCSI sense: MEDIUM ERROR asc:10,90 (Vendor Specific ASCQ)
Command Specific Info: 0x90
Retrying command (per sense data)
Read(10). CDB: 28 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 04 00
CAM status: SCSI Status Error

Update** OK, this is the farthest I've gotten so far. I've managed to get into FreeNAS boot! Instead of installing via CDROM, I've downloaded the ISO to a USB and I've used UEFI instead of boot. I'm currently getting all of the SCSI errors in the FreeNAS boot.

Update** Was able to set the static IP. Looks like it went through alright. I'll have to work on getting an internet connection in order to test it.

Last edited:

wtspace

Cadet
Ok. I've received a WiFI PCI card in the mail and can finally connect to WiFi, and should be able to provide WiFi for the rest of the building with this desktop.

I've created a static IP within the boot menu of FreeNAS, however, when I input that IP address into my browsers address bar, I get "This site can't be reached". My connection is great right now so I can't figure out why this is another stumbling block. I have put in the correct default gateway address, so I'll try looking up more solutions to this later.

SweetAndLow thanks for suggesting using UEFI mode because that's what did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.