No boot from USB after installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm trying to install 9.10 in a COMPAQ 100 Deskjet model 100-410nl with AMD E-6010 and 4 Gb of ram ( I know, less than prescribed but I have intention to buy if the system run)
I make the installation from cd-rom on a 16 GB Sandisk USB pen drive and after I try on a Hitachi 320 Gb with the same problem.
After reboot the system don't reconize valid disk for boot. I modify the boot order to start from the right device but none is reconized to be valid. Pen drive and HDD formatted with ZFS seems not to be valid and i haven't seen option to change format type o something else.
Someone can hel me?

For information: I try a virtualized installation for test trought WMware on the same machine and it runs.

Thanks

I would suggest setting up a linux or FreeDOS install on a USB drive and see if it is bootable. You can also insert the USB drive in another system and see if it will boot there. I would also say you should grab 9.3.1 rather than 9.10 at this point and use it. 9.10 seems to be having some growing pains at this point and 9.3.1 is much more stable for most people especially with the jail system.

Also there is no reason to be doing ANYTHING with the storage (HDD) until after the system is booted which could be part of the problem. When you install FreeNAS from the CD the only thing you should deal with is the USB drive. You can disconnect the HDD and install the system, power down, and then connect the drive and boot. Sounds like you may be installing to both or doing something weird that is causing the problem.

You already know that it's not going to be great running and expanding the system's ram will not be a great fix since you will not be able to utilize ECC ram which is also a no no.

Thank you.
The system is bootable from USb, I test in other way as you suggest (changing settings in BIOS).
I try to install in both mode: first with only pen drive USB connect, then with only HDD, then togheter. Same error.
I will try with 9.3 as you suggest.
About the RAM: I'm using a bad/old/unused PC to build a home-NAS....

I don't know. How can I check?
This machine actually run win 8.
In the Legacy mode Bios I can choose: USB, HDD, CDROM, NET
In UEFI : HDD, CDROM, NET, not USB
May be the problem?

I try also with FREENAS 9.3 but the system block installation at the first window ( 1)install 2)reboot 3)Shell 4) shutdown)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If it know about UEFI, best guess is it can boot from GPT too.

Maybe it's just not well supported by FreeBSD. It's certainly a long way from what would be considered 'recommended hardware' for FreeNAS, as you know.

You could try booting from a FreeBSD live DVD, just to see if the OS plays nicely with the hardware.

Sorry.. FreeBSD doesn't support veri well UEFI?
If I use "legacy mode" setting in BIOS there are some differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.