Realtek 8111H on TrueNAS Scale

FredHansen

Dabbler
(I know that Realtek NICs are a bad idea on NAS systems. I have read it like a thousand times in the past few years. I just can't upgrade the system's hardware. Please accept this as a fact before responding.)

Hello there!
After a few years of accepting trouble with the bad Realtek NIC driver support for FreeBSD (using FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core), I was excited to finally upgrade my system to TrueNAS Scale. I was hoping that the drivers of the new Debian base would resolve the issues experienced (connection crashing under huge load).
However, my RTL8111H NIC still doesn't work correctly, respectively the problems are still there. I tried to find ressources on how to patch the driver and found a few ideas for Core (adding tunable) and Debian (changing package sources). However, I didn't find anything for TrueNAS Scale.
I guess a driver update is required, but I don't know how to do that with (or without) the TrueNAS Scale console.
Does anyone have an idea on how to fix the problem (with software only)?

Thank you very much!
Fred

NugentS

MVP
Well, the obvious solution being ruled out - change the hardware.
Oh and incidentally your "PCI-E x1 to SATA card (Marvell 88SE9215 controller)" is not reccomended either.

So - get different hardware - or a different OS (there thats a software only fix)

Davvo

MVP
Take a look at this thread.

That being said, @NugentS is right.

Arwen

MVP
I understand your frustration.

My miniature desktop that I am using right now has one of those, RTL8111/8168/8411. And it's using Linux, (Gentoo, meaning custom kernel). It works okay, have not seen any particular problems. Though I don't really worry about network speed.

But, TrueNAS, (Core or SCALE), are appliance type software. Yes, it would be nice to be able to install newer hardware drivers, even updated kernels. Except that such things likely break on TrueNAS updates.

That said, their are times when I clearly document some fix that gets overwritten / backed out due to an update.

As I have said it before, "Their is no one NAS to rule them all".