Realtek driver for TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

Prut

Cadet
I'm running TrueNAS Core on a HP t620 thinclient. It's for use at home. Every few days the system becomes unavailabe. After checking the debug log I found issues with the NIC going up and down. After some googling I found that it has to do with the Realtek driver. I found a post of someone who had a compiled driver, version 1.96 for True-NAS 12. (Current driver version is 1.98).
https://www.truenas.com/community/t...o-1-96-to-prevent-re0-watchdog-timeout.88806/

I followed the post to add the driver and setup a tuneable. I now have a few questions.
- How do I check the version? The post suggests " dmesg | grep 're0' ", but that does not provide a version number, so I'm not sure if I'm really using the driver
- Is there a more recent compile version available?
- How do I compile it myself when I only have the Truanas/FreeBSD system available?
- I now see this message appearing: "WARNING(pid 1676): no interface given, using all interfaces". Should I be worried?
- Are there USB nics that I could use instead of the Realtek, and if so what would you advice?

Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm running TrueNAS Core on a HP t620 thinclient. It's for use at home.
That's terrible hardware to have chosen, even if it's used at home... your data can only really be stored on USB attached disks with that system. https://www.truenas.com/community/r...-usb-attached-drives-for-data-pool-disks.190/

I found issues with the NIC going up and down. After some googling I found that it has to do with the Realtek driver
I'm sure a lot of people want the realtek NICs supported better... perhaps SCALE gets closer to that, but generally, driver support for that entire brand of NIC is woeful outside of Windows and it seems the folks over at Realtek don't have any intention to change that.

Unfortunately (although IMHO it shouldn't matter for you as you should not be using that system for TrueNAS in general anyway), the driver situation is unlikely to improve for FreeBSD, nor for Linux.

Compiling/replacing the drivers already supplied isn't likely to improve the situation to stability either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you're trying to flog a dead horse here.

If you're storing any data of value on that system currently, I advise you to take a backup of it and reconsider your hardware choice. (Intel NIC and some possibilities for SATA-attached disks would be a thing to seek).

nemore

Cadet
I got a Realtek Dragon RTL8125BG working on TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 by adding Tunables :

1677143603811.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I got a Realtek Dragon RTL8125BG working on TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 by adding Tunables :

View attachment 63868

The issue isn't making it work, but rather making it work well, which alas isn't possible.