How to install Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE network card driver?

hjkl950217

Dabbler
系统: TrueNAS Scale 22.02-RC.2

I newly installed a NAS and installed trueNas Scale, I found that the network card is working in 1000m mode. My network card is 'realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE', it supports 2.5G mode. I found that Realtek official website has linux driver and tried to install it manually. Encountered error:
````
Check old driver and unload it.
rmmod r8125
Build the module and install
Warning: modules_install: missing 'System.map' file. Skipping depmod.
DEPMOD 5.10.81+truenas
load module r8125
Updating initramfs. Please wait.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.81+truenas
cryptsetup: ERROR: Couldn't resolve device boot-pool/ROOT/22.02-RC.2
cryptsetup: WARNING: Couldn't determine root device
cryptsetup: WARNING: target 'md127' not found in /etc/crypttab
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/dm-0
I: (/dev/mapper/md127)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
Completed.
````

Is there any way I can install the driver to support 2.5G mode? Or wait for the Scale system update, will it be supported in the future?
realtek driver:https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS is an appliance OS and you are not expected to be modifying it. It may be lacking some of the tools necessary to do the modifications.

It is very likely that a future update of the underlying Linux system will include the driver.

cap

Contributor
I do not use scale. But as far as I remember support for RTL8125(b) was added in kernel 5.10.x

hjkl950217

Dabbler
TrueNAS is an appliance OS and you are not expected to be modifying it. It may be lacking some of the tools necessary to do the modifications.

It is very likely that a future update of the underlying Linux system will include the driver.
Yes! I found this while looking at other articles in the community, common sense when manually updating the driver and found missing files or tools. It looks like one can only expect support for this hardware to be included in a future update.

hjkl950217

Dabbler
I do not use scale. But as far as I remember support for RTL8125(b) was added in kernel 5.10.x
Indeed, it supports this hardware, but only supports 1G rate. So, I want to install the official driver to support 2.5G speed

hjkl950217

Dabbler

If I want to check the network cards that TrueNAS SCALE already supports, is there a place to check the network card support list? I want to add another 10G speed network card

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's a difference between "supports" and what actually works well.

The 10 Gig Networking Primer thread discusses what actually works well.

hjkl950217

Dabbler
“支持”与实际运作良好之间存在差异。

10 Gig Networking Primer 线程讨论了实际运行良好的方法。

Thanks a lot for your answer!
After I replaced the motherboard interface, I was surprised to find that TrueNas showed 2.5G, maybe I plugged the wrong motherboard interface...

Currently there is a PCIE-X16 interface on my motherboard, which I want to use to expand 10G. After checking this article you posted, I didn't find what I was looking for (although it is mentioned that X540 and X520 are supported by TrueNas).

If I want to know what other models are supported, is there a place to look for a list of device models? I need it to basically work

spvedula

Cadet
Is there a solution this? I tried using R8125 drivers, and tried using ethtool as given in readme of r8125 drivers. nic still works at 1G capacity.

hjkl950217

Dabbler
这个有解决办法吗?我尝试使用 R8125 驱动程序,并尝试使用 r8125 驱动程序自述文件中给出的 ethtool。nic 仍然在 1G 容量下工作。
非常抱歉,暂时没有解决办法。我目前的问题是无法识别网卡设备。我已经卖掉了我的网卡来使用主板上的网络接口

warrenmatty

Dabbler
I was hoping the RTL8125 2.5GbE would be fully supported in Bluefin but i'm still seeing the 1GB maximum. Hopefully it is in the pipeline.

spvedula

Cadet
I was hoping the RTL8125 2.5GbE would be fully supported in Bluefin but i'm still seeing the 1GB maximum. Hopefully it is in the pipeline.
I used RTL 8125 in TrueNAS Scale - versions - 22.02.0.1, 22.12-RC.1 and also 22.12.0.

Just download the rtl 8125 drivers from Realtek site and follow instructions - Pretty much running the autorun.sh.

Only one caution: Every time TrueNAS version is upgraded - new drivers need to be re-installed. I keep the driver files locally in one dataset, and rerun (autorun.sh).

spvedula

Cadet
@spvedula On upgrade is the NIC completely unavailable or does it default to the 1gb until you again run the auto script?
its just sitting idle. I have to access it from my UI (aka linux shell in startup screen), and rerun the new drivers. I am guessing this way to install could be the problem - but its okay for me until TrueNAS scale ships with 8125 drivers.

cap

Contributor
The drivers have been in the Linux kernel for several kernel versions. So I don't understand the problem.
If you can't use 2.5 GBe, the problem is probably elsewhere.

spvedula

Cadet
The drivers have been in the Linux kernel for several kernel versions. So I don't understand the problem.
If you can't use 2.5 GBe, the problem is probably elsewhere.
then how does it automatically works when I install RealTek 2.5GB drivers (RTL-8125)?