Realtek RTL8125 network card. Trying to replace the onboard device with 1Gb

jackdinn

Contributor
Opps i have made a mistake, :( I was watching a load of videos on tinkering with freenas on old junk comps. I was doing just fine. I though i would just upgrade the onboard network to at least 1Gb (which would have been fine). I brought an exact match of a pcix1 2.5Gb card that a youtube demonstration was using, so i assumed it would just go in and dhcp would do the rest.

However, even though the card is flashing with "data" and so is the router i cant not even ping the gateway.

I have searched and searched, I'm pretty confused.

I have no access to the system to copy/paste anything atm, so im doing it by hand. Maybe i can connect back to the onboard adaptor and ssh in so i can copy/paste but im not sure if that would affect trying to get the other new card to work because id have 2 networks trying to run at the same time, i dunno.

pciconf -lv | grep -B3 network
none4@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10ec dedvice=0x8125 subvendor=0x10ec subdevice=0x0123
Vendor = `realtek semiconductor co., Ltd`
device = RTL8125 2.5GbE controler
Class = network

ifconfig :- (ahh far too much to do by hand, sorry)
IMG_20220623_120209.jpg

I think that i might have thrown that £20 away, unless someone can guide me through, :)

c77dk

Patron
Don't know if you still need to do things manually - but take a look at this thread.

c77dk

Patron
Btw. the nfe driver shown is for Nvidia cards - and your ada1 disk should be replaced.

jackdinn

Contributor
Btw. the nfe driver shown is for Nvidia cards - and your ada1 disk should be replaced.
I did wonder why it was mentioning Nvidia at all since there is no nvidia in the system at all. Not sure id know how to anyhow, but im hoping to use this realtek as a replacement for the onboard.

O yea, the disks are literally junk. But if i can learn enough and feel comfortable enough i will get some ironwolfs or wd red+'s. Maybe even splash out for a proper setup (although i really doubt id have a grand or so hanging about doing nothing) but yea thx for the link, im currently testing it.