put ix-applications on boot-pool

i would love if the webui would let me move ix-applications off my data pool (spinning drives) on to my boot-pool (ssd) which would be faster and make me happy on an organizational level all system crap on one pool my actual user data on the other

if i have to dig into the command line to do it thats fine

NugentS

MVP
It is possible - but its not the way that TN is designed to work which generally means that if you need to ask then you don't want to be doing this.

Search this forum, the information is there

chuck32

Guru
On SCALE (I assume core doesn't have that set) it's Apps -> Settings -> Choose Pool

@NugentS correct me here, but the way it's in the UI does not indicate that it shouldn't be changed

LarsR

Guru
Yes you can set it that way, but you can't choose the boot-pool. that was never possible nor intended by iX. If you want to do it you have to manually partition the ssd before installing truenas, and then use one partition for the boot-pool and the other for the apps pool.

chuck32

Guru
Good catch! I have a SSD pool for my VMs to which I moved the set. I didn't try to move it to the boot pool.

Davvo

MVP
Yes you can set it that way, but you can't choose the boot-pool. that was never possible nor intended by iX. If you want to do it you have to manually partition the ssd before installing truenas, and then use one partition for the boot-pool and the other for the apps pool.
Do understand that doing so will bring you to the unsupported path, which effectively means you likely won't receive much help here in the forum upon disclosing that.
I would not suggest using the boot drive for anything else than the boot pool: it's neither safe or convenient.

NugentS

MVP
On SCALE (I assume core doesn't have that set) it's Apps -> Settings -> Choose Pool

@NugentS correct me here, but the way it's in the UI does not indicate that it shouldn't be changed
You specifically mentioned boot-pool.
Another pool, fine. Just not the boot-pool

chuck32

Guru
You specifically mentioned boot-pool.
Another pool, fine. Just not the boot-pool
Sorry I misread that part on OPs first post, I realized after LarsR post. I agree with your assessment then :)

danb35

Hall of Famer

Davvo

MVP
It's not hard to read the posted links; it's even easier to read the posts of the users who take time to reply.
Mindblowing, isn't it?

TL;DR: RTFM

i read it but didn't really clarify anything to me apps don't seem like user data to me but that's fine i will live with it @Davvo you don't have to be rude about it.

Davvo

MVP
When you ask a question that completely disregards what four users posted you should expect a no-nonsense reply... it's the next step of making you understand: if the first explaination isn't enough you try again in a simpler, more direct way.

Is it rude? Maybe it is, but I would argue that ignoring people taking time to help you is worse.

You asked how to "put ix-applications on boot-pool", four users told you why you shouldn't, you asked "the reason not to put ix-applications on the boot pool".

:confused:

Last edited:
i apologize if that's how i came off i read through replies and i guess just didn't grasp the rational like most people might but its done thank you all for the information