migrated ix-applications and new dataset is smaller

grigory

Dabbler
Hello :)
I created a new pool and then migrated the apps using the GUI 'choose pool' function, both of my pools now has its own ix-applications dataset. For the most part the migration seems to have gone well. However, the new ix-applications dataset in the new pool is 21GB and the original one was 36GB. Is this normal? Can I go ahead and delete the old dataset if my apps are running fine? It is hard to say what data there is in the old dataset, I ran:
Code:
sudo diff -dr /mnt/new/ix-applications /mnt/old/ix-applications > diff.txt

But it is not very useful (to me)
Any assistance is appreciated! thank you.

Snapshots likely account for that difference.

Code:
zfs list -r -t filesystem -o space poolname/ix-applications

grigory

Dabbler
@winnielinnie thanks for the response, using that command it actually looks like ix-applications/docker is the biggest difference (about 16GB) between the old and new pools.
I had already removed a lot of snapshots to try and minimize the difference.

Do you happen to know if it is safe to ignore this difference? and remove the old dataset?

@winnielinnie thanks for the response, using that command it actually looks like ix-applications/docker is the biggest difference (about 16GB) between the old and new pools.
I had already removed a lot of snapshots to try and minimize the difference.

Do you happen to know if it is safe to ignore this difference? and remove the old dataset?
You should see a column labeled "USEDSNAP". Under this column is where you might fight which datasets in particular are using up the unaccounted space in their snapshots.

That's up to you. If the missing space is in the snapshots, and you don't need any previously deleted data, then I don't see the danger. Then again, maybe there is something you forgot about.

Last edited:

grigory

Dabbler
Thank you, ill need to read a bit about what exactly this docker directory is for before I delete it.