TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.4 migrating ix-applications dataset to a new pool

Gobb

Cadet
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to check out my thread, hopefully I have the correct section for this.

Extremely new to TrueNAS, so please bear with me here. I'm running the latest TrueNAS SCALE build 22.02.4 and installed 2x 250gb Samsung EVO SSDs to use as a mirror pool for my apps which are a bit of a mix between TrueCharts apps and ix-systems apps. The SSDs installed and the pool was create without issue. Utilizing the GUI options from the Apps screen I selected to move the Apps to a different Pool, selecting my newly created SSD pool. The move went without issue and it was successful. However, looking at my Storage and Datasets, the ix-applications dataset is both on the original location of my main storage pool and the new location of the SSD pool. I am wondering if it's safe to delete the old data, or if I did something incorrectly with the migration?

new pool.PNG

old pool.PNG

My system configuration is as follows:
  • Motherboard make and model: AsRock Rack E3C246D2I
  • CPU make and model: Intel i3 9100
  • RAM quantity: 32gb (2x16gb) 2400mhz Unbuffered ECC DDR4 Timetec Hynix
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives:
    • 6x 6TB 5400 RPM Seagate IronWolf NAS ST6000VN001 RAID Z2
    • 2x Kingston SA400 240gb SSDs mirrored as the boot drive and system dataset
    • 2x 250gb Samsung EVO SSDs mirrored as the applications dataset
  • Hard disk controllers: LSI 9211-8i - I don't think this is a Hard disk controller, board to provide additional SATA data cables to the Samsung SSDs and eventual additional 2x6TB drives.

I did do some searching before posting, but I only found unanswered threads.

Any insight and assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

whodat

Dabbler
If you're 100% sure the migration was successful, it's OK to remove the original dataset. Just triple-check you are choosing the correct (old, original) one when doing so.

FYI before you delete: if you ever needed to roll back to your previous configuration by restoring a backed-up system config file (taken before the migration when the original ix-applications dataset was the primary), that restored config would re-enable the original ix-applications dataset as though nothing had changed.
(source: I did this successfully just last night!)

indivision

Guru
Since this is a destructive action I waive all liability! :grin:

But, I was able to safely delete the old ix-applications folder after migrating the pool like this.

Gobb

Cadet
Since this is a destructive action I waive all liability! :grin:

But, I was able to safely delete the old ix-applications folder after migrating the pool like this.
Thanks for your response and good to hear. I was going to try that seeing as I have to redo my main data pool anyway. Worst case I have to re-install all apps. A slight inconvenience at the worst, best case it just works. Out of curiosity, did you have any TrueCharts apps?

ninthturtle1034

Dabbler
If you're 100% sure the migration was successful, it's OK to remove the original dataset. Just triple-check you are choosing the correct (old, original) one when doing so.

FYI before you delete: if you ever needed to roll back to your previous configuration by restoring a backed-up system config file (taken before the migration when the original ix-applications dataset was the primary), that restored config would re-enable the original ix-applications dataset as though nothing had changed.
(source: I did this successfully just last night!)
Hi I have some follow up questions about migrating the pool that my IX Systems Apps (and truecharts apps) are installed onto. I followed a guide on the truenas subreddit, and it appeared to all work successfully however, I have just noticed some sub-datasets on the old pool called `catalogs`, `default_volumes`, `docker`, `k3s` and `releases`, which don't appear to have been migrated even though the `ix-applications` dataset itself migrated. Also would it be safe for me to rename the `ix-applications` dataset on the new pool?

JOduMonT

Dabbler
on a TrueNas SCALE is it easy to move (migrate/change) the ix-applications dataset.
via the webUI you simply have to go

1. in Apps
2. then top right Settings you will click on Choose Pool
3. By choosing your new Pool it will copy dataset into the new destination.
4. After that, you will be able to remove (delete) the old dataset also via the UI but in Datasets menu

BTW: I moved my dataset mostly because I had a warning saying ix-applications dataset don't play well with encryption

Attachments

• 2023-06-19_19-46.png
    2023-06-19_19-46.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 391