Moving ix-applications with installed apps

gskular

Cadet
I have some running apps, like Nextcloud, traefik, ghost and couple more and I would like to move ix-applications from one pool to another. Is it possible without breaking something in the process?

I suppose I need to stop all apps, and then choose another pool. Will everything be moved to a new location with all apps ready to start and run happily?
If something remains on the old pool, is it safe to delete it from there?

I don't know how to make full backup of all apps.. would not like to try and break something.
Thanks!

PyCoder

Dabbler
Apps ---> Settings ---> Choose Pool ---> Migrate applications to the new pool

I guess?

Otherwise make a replication and change the pool

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
Apps ---> Settings ---> Choose Pool ---> Migrate applications to the new pool

I guess?

Otherwise make a replication and change the pool
This generally works, but it's adviced to backup things first, none the less.
For example: by using our Apps backup guides.

vogerl

Cadet
@gskular: did you manage to do it? It tried it twice, but somehow, there is still an ix-applications dataset in the old pool and the apps are referencing the PVCs from the old one. Did you experience the same?

guiguijke

Cadet
I'm also interested to do this the good way.
In my case , ix-application is on a single nvme, and I would like to migrate my applications to another pool of 2 mirrored nvme's
Assuming legPOOL as my apps pool today - tankPOOL with all my data - newnvmePOOL to be the new pool (that i have to create because I don't have enough PCIe slots to do it in 1 shot)
  1. move ix-applications : legPOOL -> tankPOOL
  2. remove legPOOL (reboot after moving nvme's)
  3. create newnvmePOOL
  4. move ix-applications : tankPOOL -> newvmePOOL
Is it possible without loosing apps data ?
Thx!

vogerl

Cadet
Hi, i did that and the PVCs of my apps were still on the old pool, while everything else was on the new pool. When deleting the old pool, all apps started to create new PVCs and I had to copy the data manually into the new PVCs. Not really what I expected …

Chris Routh

Cadet
Just for the sake of anyone coming here in 2023, TrueNAS Scale will take care of the ix-applications for you in the UI.

1. Navigate to Apps
2. Stop all applications
3. Click the Settings dropdown (second option from the upper right) and select "Choose Pool"
4. Select a new pool from the dropdown list, and hit "Choose"
5. TrueNAS will prompt you to confirm if you would like to migrate the data. If you chose to, it will now replicate the dataset and update the app settings automatically.

Krautmaster

Explorer
i want to move my apps from an old to a new server without moving. If i manually create a dataset called ix-applications and rsync all data it seems not to load them...

RetroG

Dabbler
there are many datasets below ix-applications that are otherwise hidden in the UI

if you want to manually move them, you must do a recursive zfs send/recieve from the cli, or set up a replication task via the webui (which is more work, but it's up to you)