Replication Task with encryption on target doesn't encrypt

MarcPP

Cadet
Hi all,

I want to replicate datasets from my TrueNAS SCALE called source to another TrueNAS SCALE called destination.

The datasets on destination shall be encrypted, therefore I set up a replication task like this:

1646758407905.png

After successfully executing the task, the destination pool looks like this:

1646758900445.png

But only apps is encrypted, not its children, according to this:
Code:
root@destination[~]# zfs get -r encryption | grep backup/truenas/apps
backup/truenas/apps                                                                                    encryption  aes-256-gcm  -
backup/truenas/apps@auto-2022-03-08_00-00                                                              encryption  aes-256-gcm  -
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications                                                                    encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications@auto-2022-03-08_00-00                                              encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/k3s                                                                encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/k3s@auto-2022-03-08_00-00                                          encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/k3s/kubelet                                                        encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/k3s/kubelet@auto-2022-03-08_00-00                                  encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases                                                           encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases@auto-2022-03-08_00-00                                     encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns                                           encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns@auto-2022-03-08_00-00                     encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns/charts                                    encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns/charts@auto-2022-03-08_00-00              encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns/volumes                                   encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns/volumes@auto-2022-03-08_00-00             encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns/volumes/ix_volumes                        encryption  off          default
backup/truenas/apps/ix-applications/releases/cloudflare-ddns/volumes/ix_volumes@auto-2022-03-08_00-00  encryption  off          default

What am I doing wrong?

Further information:
  • Software version of both instances is TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0
  • source has been regularly updated since beta
  • destination is a fresh install
  • I created the backup zpool and didn't add any datasets (like truenas or apps), they got created during the Replication Task.
  • I didn't set encryption for backup zpool if that matters.

Thanks, Marc

SMnasMAN

Contributor
hi, just a guess- but perhaps you are seeing this because in your replication task you have "Include Dataset Properties" Checked off
(and your source dataset, is NOT encrypted, thus that property is being carried over to the replication DST, maybe)

( this is just as guess as im about to modify my own offsite TN to TN replication setup to make use of encryption as well, and was doing some research before starting my testing). My setup will be just like yours (src is not using ZFS encryption, but i want my replication DST to use encryption). However i am using TrueNas Core on all my systems.