Proxmox with Truenas VM - Broke it, now just Truenas

Well the expectation that someone would read all the documentation of all the available products out there before making a hardware purchase on a budget is a bit much though I do agree I am the idiot but was able to get things back in a working state to fix it moving forward.
Seems a bit extreme, but there is a recommended hardware guide in there. I mean, I was able to read it while on the head, look at a few other documents to size up what I needed, do some price comparisons, and successfully purchase hardware.

Others may want to watch LTT videos or ask ChatGPT. I'm fine with that too.

Whattteva

Wizard
For what it's worth, I have been running TrueNAS under Proxmox quite successfully for a period of time now. However, I do it in the recommended way by using one of the recommended HBA cards and passing through the entire controller without LVM shenanigans. In addition, I also have a bare-metal system that mirrors the pool so I'm doing this the "safe" way.

I'm mainly doing this to see if it's viable to run this virtualized setup in production environment in the long term, so I consider myself a bit of a pioneer on Proxmox virtualization. I've only run this for about 4-5 months so far with no hiccups, but would need probably at least another year or two to be able to confidently recommend this to others. Stay tuned.

Blueduck3285

Dabbler
Yes, let's say I even agree with this, but the problem is if you buy a Ford Pinto to haul a trailer, it just isn't going to work well even if your trip is all downhill. At a certain point, no one else can fix a bad purchase. I really don't care for my frequent role as messenger of doom on these forums, people don't like hearing that their RAID controller won't work or their ethernet controller is garbage, but when push comes to shove, I have not heard a better way to handle the bad news.

That said, there are lots of clever people here who will try to get you going in the right direction. Perhaps it is just the price of being a free product.
I am going to redo my set up, but may have to wait until next Jan (our off season) so my wife doesn't kill me. I will need help from this community on the most ideal way to set up my server. I only run Proxmox because it was easy and free. I may just run Truenas on bare metal but I ran into issues with that and the not raid controller that is in my server. We will see.

I am going to redo my set up, but may have to wait until next Jan (our off season) so my wife doesn't kill me. I will need help from this community on the most ideal way to set up my server. I only run Proxmox because it was easy and free. I may just run Truenas on bare metal but I ran into issues with that and the not raid controller that is in my server. We will see.
As a note, if your home projects better who you are, your earning potential, and keep you out of trouble, your spouse should consider themselves (expletive) lucky to have you. (Because there are plenty of younger women who would.)

samarium

Contributor
I agree,
I got everything back up and running and purchased a 12tb drive and a two bay nas box to back everything up. I want to rebuild with everything done a better way.
I agree, do it the right way. If you proceed with trying to reconstruct the old lvm/zfs layout to extract the old data from disk images, I'd be interested in at least talking to you about it, as that sounds interesting because it isn't going to be easy. If you don't want to proceed that is fine too.