Passthrough HDD from proxmox to truenas on dell r710

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I have a working environment to manage maintain view and backup all my media.

However i needed to replace my router and firewall henced I purchased a dell r710 and installed opnsense great

I was gifted a HP ml350 with a hypervisor installed. I installed opnsense and it worked, i added home assistant it did not work because it would not passthrough multiple USBs.

So i installed proxmox on the dell 710 ...fine, i installed home assistant and all its usbs ... fine i tried to install truenas and it fails because truenas could not see the HDDs/

So by trolling the net I purchased an it flashed h200 HBA. I installed it in the integrated PCI slot and proxmox did not recognise the card. The card was not flashed as a 1f1e sub configuration

I installed the H200 in a PCI slot located on a riser and it worked. The avago software saw and identified all the drives ....Great I configured each drive as raid0 it did not help. so i deleted the raid configuration. the drives became visible to proxmox.

I trolled the net for information about passing through the drive to truenas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkK-9_-2oko) and the instruction on (https://dannyda.com/2020/08/26/how-to-passthrough-hdd-ssd-physical-disks-to-vm-on-proxmox-vepve/ ).

I followed the procedure with this information at hand

disk 0
sdb K1HSBD wwn-0x5000cca2555ad480

disk 1

sdc K1GLXHEF wwn-0x5000cca2552266a0

Disk 2

sdd K1GNZB9F wwn-0x5000cca2552625a0

SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon]

as instructed i add the drives with (qm set 100 -scsi5 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxx_xxx) replacing the items with the proper values

in Proxmox in the summary of the truenas vm i see the drives great.

I start the truenas vm and i finally get an ip address billiant

I launch truenas and i start to configure it. i create a pool and i see the 3 drives and i configure them as raid z no errors no issues i add the datasets and call it a day

I backup my primary truenas server to the truenas vm on the 710 and all the files are there

The next morning i start the vm and i get an unhealthy pool I look at the disks in storage an i see that no sn is attached to the drives.

I guess this is the result of the unhealthy pool

What i do not understand is what and where it all went wrong

Can someone please help me resolve this

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
as instructed i add the drives with (qm set 100 -scsi5 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxx_xxx) replacing the items with the proper values
Unfortunately, you're following bad advice and we would have told you that this was destined for failure from the start.

You must pass through the entire SATA controller/HBA to the VM or you will eventually have issues and will probably lose your pool/data.

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you for your comment

Since tuesday i have been trying to pass-through the controller. On I finally understood how to do this without getting qemu errors and finally understand that i do not need to pass-through the drives because the dell 200 will do this

Now turena scale sees the drives and their sn

These drives were on an other trunas core server so I wiped the 3 drives. (the one is was trying to build here above). Truenas did eventually start however i always had an unhealthy pool. So i decided to start over

when i try to create a new pool

I get the following
[EFAULT] Disk: 'sdb' is incorrectly formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF).

sdb is the first of the 3 drives

how do i prepare these drives for this new server or to remove the DIF?

why many videos reddits and other posts are allowed to spread incorrect information (or is it since it sewam to work for them) , I would have imagined that both Proxmox and Ixsystems would have pickup the ball and publish the definitive procedure to integrate these 2 solutions. This would save time invested and space on the forums.

Thank you for your patience

NickF

Guru
The best way to do what you are trying to do is to have a second HBA in the chassis. The R710 has two SAS 8087 connectors in it's backplane. You can connect one to an HBA and pass through the PCI-e card to TrueNAS, and the other to the existing card you are using for Proxmox.. Then you will have 4 drives available to Proxmox and 4 drives available to TrueNAS.

sretalla